Chutney...

leeds chimp

Just done one which is in the fridge for our first shoot day in just over a week - 6 red onions, chilli, garlic, roughly quarter of a 1kg of brown sugar, red wine vinegar, splash of balsamic vinegar, salt.

Soften onions, chilli, garlic on a low heat, thrown in rest of ingredients and let it simmer for 30 - 40 mins.

Then mixed up a bottle of toffee vodka also for our first day. Cant see this lasting that long though......

Edited by pg123

after giving up smoking I have become a bit addicted to cream crackers with a dip or cheese and a Chutney.....

Looking for some very simple,cheap and easy to follow recipes please

Have a look on the good food website, I'm due to start my chutney run for Xmas presents, I've had some superb results, the apple and cranberry, the Boxing Day chutney and Delias piccalilli are the winners by miles.

Just made a batch of apple and pear chutney easy 8 large cookers 6 pears 2 large onions 8 oz.s rasains 8 oz.s dried or fresh apricots tablespoon of mustard seeds 1 one bottle cider vinager one can of cider one bag soft brown sugar

Peel and chop apples pears Finley chop onions Put apples pears cider vineger in one large pan Cook until they soften. Put the can of cider onions rasains apricots mustard seeds then simmer till it's starts to reduce then add sugar simmer till it starts to thicken don't for get to stir good luck

I make a fair amount of chutneys and pickles and preserves for the restaurant, we have always got one on with a pate or terrine and then always a fig jam to be served with cheese. At the moment I have a chicken liver and foie gras parfait on, and it's served with a red onion jam which is soooooooo simple to make.

Thinly slice loads of red onions, make enough to make it worth your while, as it will keep almost indefinitely. Almost cover them in a 50/50 mix of balsamic vinegar and red wine, leave about 2cm of onion on top of the liquid. Add a few big handfuls of soft dark brown sugar, or to taste, you can always add more later. Bring it to the boil, turn it down to a simmer and leave it until the onions have cooked down and are nice and dark, rich and glossy. I leave mine slowly simmering for a good 4 hours.

Let it cool, then crack on! If you can resist, leave it alone for a few days as the flavours will keep getting better when it's jarred up in the fridge.

Just made a batch of apple and pear chutney easy 8 large cookers 6 pears 2 large onions 8 oz.s rasains 8 oz.s dried or fresh apricots tablespoon of mustard seeds 1 one bottle cider vinager one can of cider one bag soft brown sugar

Peel and chop apples pears Finley chop onions Put apples pears cider vineger in one large pan Cook until they soften. Put the can of cider onions rasains apricots mustard seeds then simmer till it's starts to reduce then add sugar simmer till it starts to thicken don't for get to stir good luck

How big a bag of sugar and how big a bottle ?

Right gents, an update for those of you like me who don't cook, ever ! Warming a pasty is my limit.

First off you're going to spend over an hour in the supermarket finding stuff, and it isn't marked up to make it simple. My recipe asked for cooking apples, why can't it say "cooking apples" on the packet! All it's got on is the type of apple, how am I supposed to know if it's a cooker or not !! :no:

Secondly, vinegar isn't by the rest of the stuff you pour over your dinner, no, it's in "exotic"aisle :no:

Ginger comes in little jars and is hidden away amongst all the sauces etc that you tip in a saucepan with meat etc to make a quick spicy meal, tiny little jars tucked away :sad1:

Raisins ...................... where the h**l do you find those, what do they come under, certainly not anything I would list them under :no:

Green peppers, found those easy enough, right at the front of the store :yahoo:

Moskivitch sugar or what ever it is, reminds me of an old russian car :lol: That took some finding, so much in fact I never found it so used soft brown as in another recipe :lol:

Measuring out :no: nah, I took a guess 'cause I can't find the scales and the wife's out :lol:

Then you come to cooking it all, this is after about three hours of peeling and chopping it all up into little pieces :sad1: The first thing you're going to notice is that huge saucepan that's used once every 5 years isn't big enough :no: I had the ingredients about 1mm from the top and had to get it all flatter than a bowling green to stay in :oops: Then the worst part, MY EYES !!. You're boiling vinegar and cooking apples (I think they are) and it's like soaking your head in battery acid :oops:

All I can say is I hope this is worth it,...................................... and this thread needs a health warning :lol: :lol: :lol:

I must say, eating an animal that has been tortured would make me vomit.

So do you eat fish, hook stuck through its face and dragged through the water till its exhausted then dragged onto the bank into the air and it starts to suffocate then finally bashed on the head. Just playing Devils Advocate

If it`s a decent sized supermarket they`ll have a section with cake mixes, decorations etc. Might not be listed as bakery, or even up on the main signage but it will be there. Try near eggs and flour . . . if you can find those. ;)

Taking the daughter with me next time :good: This buying cooking items isn't mans work :no:

:lol::lol::lol: