Chutney...

leeds chimp

Hambone, if it's too vinegary add another handful of brown sugar and it will balance itself out. It's all down to taste really

That's what I've done, added sugar reduced a bit more and it's tasting good. It is hard to believe how so many onions can reduce into so few jars. Thanks for the recipe.

• 3 weeks later...

rodP,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what a post,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,made me laugh, sounds like my first attempt, I had to go to three shops till I found Marrows, not a popular item in Scotland, never saw them since so use corgettes.

I keep it in those Ikea jars with the seal lid, mine lasts easy two years.

Just don't give any away in a moment of weakness.

Chiefy

rodP,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what a post,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,made me laugh, sounds like my first attempt, I had to go to three shops till I found Marrows, not a popular item in Scotland, never saw them since so use corgettes.

I keep it in those Ikea jars with the seal lid, mine lasts easy two years.

Just don't give any away in a moment of weakness.

Chiefy

Ha ha, well Chiefy, all I an say is it was worth it :good: . I made a batch and it came out ok, destroyed the big saucepan by letting it burn a little. After about 5 or 6 goes in the dishwasher there's still a 1" crust on the bottom so it went in the bin. Just come out of surgery and once I've healed over I'm off to get a big, I mean BIG saucepan to make another batch in.

It didn't last too long as the kids robbed it once they knew about it, left me with one jar and the only reason I had that was because it had been opened :lol: My daughter very kindly sourced some new jars, she didn't actually buy them, just told me where I could go and buy them so I can make a bigger batch next time :rolleyes: Why do we let our kids walk all over us :hmm: and actually like them doing it :lol:

I'm off to get a big, I mean BIG saucepan to make another batch in.

This is what you need ................

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l2632.R2.TR12.TRC2.A0.H1.Xjam+pan.TRS0&_nkw=jam+pan&_sacat=20625

Edited by amateur

:good: Yep, you're right, going to order one :good: Came out of surgery yesterday and anaesthetic still in me so will wait a day or so, don't want to order something the size of a tin bath :lol:

Aluminium can react with acidic fruits, stainless is heavy and does not heat evenly, but choosing between the two I would go for stainless.

The best one would be tin-coated copper - if you can find one, although the French apparently always used uncoated copper.