Refusal

Hi all

I have just been refused my sgc, I have been shooting since a young lad and have always gone with my dad who had a sgc, my dad has sadly passed away so thought I'd try for my own, I do have a police record (abh) but I have been a good boy for 11 years now they refused me saying I was a danger to the public!!! I would go for appeal but it involves going to crown court, for a solicitor to represent me it would cost £2000 at least and not just that if I lose the appeal I'm liable to pay court fees so basically that's not an option so sadly there goes my shotgun days. Cheers all

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know nothing about you Jimny, the Police need very good reason to refuse a grant, I wouldn`t have thought one GBH 11yrs ago would be enough, unless it was particularly vicious and led to you going to jail for a long time, serving 3yrs or more will incur a lifetime ban from carrying a

firearm.

You say you`ve been a good boy, have you a reputation as a fighter?? and never been prosecuted?? I feel sure a policeman has had a say in the

refusal, Having said that the mass killer Derek Bird was granted a certificate after local police saying they would not give him one.

Edited by malantone

I was given 18 months for abh but got out after 15 months for good behaviour so I'm not banned from owning a firearm, I did get in trouble a few times for fighting but like I say I've not had any issues since 2004.

I'm not a member with basc but I did get in touch with them and they said they don't always take cases on and they couldn't tell me anything because I'm not a member.

I did get the visit from the Feo he seemed happy with my cabinet and my shooting experience so I thought it was looking good

Edited by Jimny(off-road)

Police are between a rock and a hard place on this. If they DO grant you one and you flip they'll be for the high jump with the papers. If they DON'T give you one then you'll play up. I suppose they just take the easiest option and hope you can't afford to appeal.

I would join a clay pigeon club (and i mean join-not just turn up as and when you feel),attend regularly using their shotguns then re-apply in 2 years. Give them proof that you're serious and not a menace to the public and go from there. You're not prohibited from handling firearms & ammunition so neither the club or yourself would not be breaking any laws. Join BASC or CA and seek their advice too.

Apart from appealing at court,you have very little options.

Cheers for your advice, i don't think experience is a problem that wasn't mentioned in the letter, I do go a few times a month with a couple of pals who are experienced sgc holders but it's not the same as getting up on a morning and going off your own back rather than waiting for an invite! I do have permission myself at a few farms so it's only a sg I need!!

Cheers for your advice, i don't think experience is a problem that wasn't mentioned in the letter, I do go a few times a month with a couple of pals who are experienced sgc holders but it's not the same as getting up on a morning and going off your own back rather than waiting for an invite! I do have permission myself at a few farms so it's only a sg I need!!

Its not the experience you would be proving-its dedication. Attending regularly for a significant amount of time would show you're dedicated. I know it sounds like a long winded way of getting your SGC,but i dont see another option.

I was given 18 months for abh but got out after 15 months for good behaviour so I'm not banned from owning a firearm, I did get in trouble a few times for fighting but like I say I've not had any issues since 2004.

I'm not a member with basc but I did get in touch with them and they said they don't always take cases on and they couldn't tell me anything because I'm not a member.

I did get the visit from the Feo he seemed happy with my cabinet and my shooting experience so I thought it was looking good

Given an 18 month sentence and served 15 months, getting out early for good behaviour ?

Something doesn't add up there. Most of the time people given 18 month sentences serve 9 month in prison and 9 months on licence.

Good friend of mine has done a lot less and longer ago and they still refused him. Seam to be able to make the rules and with loose guidelines it's very hard to fight. They seam to make it up as they go along, some people with records get granted others not.... Basc can't really do much about it.

Experience does not count, you don't need any for sgc. My mate is prob one of the safest, most experienced shot I know with 40+ years experience, but they didn't want to commit, he would almost certainly win at court but it's all about cost and the police know that. If a judge makes the call it takes the heat off them.

BASC Will Not Take you on, unless there is a 99% chance of winning,don`t even bother, jusrt wasting your time there..

Sorry, But GBH is not a walk in the park situation..

Jimny {off road}, I think you just have to take this one on the chin [no pun intended].

An appeal in my opinion is a waste of time and money.

There is nothing to stop you applying again in a couple of years time. If you are refused again you will get your application fee back.

Having been refused a certificate at one stage in my life, I can tell you straight if it is something you want, you will get it if you keep your life and mental health on track.

In a way the police are damned if they do and damned if they don't . They need to see your life is back on track and that will take time.

In the mean time you are still able to use sub 12ft air rifles and use ferrets and go beating/fishing etc.

Any centimental guns from your dads certificate can be transferred to a friends certificate until things are sorted.

I am sorry you got turned down, but keep positive fella and keep a portfolio of application/refusal documents as you will go through it all at each application.

all the best aga man.

i know of a man who over 20 years ago was convicted for gbh, never got a custodial sentence but a fine costs and was bound over for 2 years. he has been sqeaky clean ever since for the last 18 years. he applied for a sgc a couple of years ago and was refused, was a member of the basc and was advised the only option was to seek advice from a lawyer. this he did and was told by the lawyer that it was a none starter.

i know of another person under a different lisensing force who had a coviction for affray and a similar length of time who had his sgc granted about 10 years ago. times have moved on and guidance and lisensing has got stricter.

that said i believe like the advice give here that if you are dilligent, honest and willing to go the long route that you may at some stage be successful in getting your certificate. may take a few years put time passes anyway so look at a long term strategy and keep positive.

atb 7diaw