Refusal

Cheers for all your comments, I'm not going to go into details but yes I were in a few fights and got punished I pleaded guilty served my time. The law states that you can apply for a firearm if you haven't done over 3 years, which I haven't. I even went to college to do game keeping when I was younger and did work experience at harewood house I had a letter from harewood house stating this included in my application

Edited by Jimny(off-road)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mate had an accident his fault speeding even though the car he hit did u turn , two in the back survived girl in front died he went to prison ( no sympathy even though a mate ) got out just under three years, is he allowed to apply cause he hasn't done over three years

My mate had an accident his fault speeding even though the car he hit did u turn , two in the back survived girl in front died he went to prison ( no sympathy even though a mate ) got out just under three years, is he allowed to apply cause he hasn't done over three years

Depends what his sentence was. If it was over 3 years then no. It`s not the time served it`s the original sentence that matters.

Depends what his sentence was. If it was over 3 years then no. It`s not the time served it`s the original sentence that matters.

Should have been more clear sorry, my point is any one that has done time in my eyes shouldn't be allowed , might be out off order saying it but that's me , police have a hard time as it is if they give SGC/FAC out and it goes wrong they get slated

"Are you back here again Fletcher? What are you in for this time?

"same as last time Mr McKay"

"Remind me , what were you in for last time Fletcher?"

"Getting caught Mr McKay"

Once you have a conviction for violence your card is marked for shooting forever, and thats how it should be. Do leopards change their spots? Not in the wild they don't

The time you SERVE doesn't matter, it's the SENTENCE that matters. If he was sentenced to 3 years or more then he is a prohibited person for life.

It should be noted that prohibited persons are also prohibited from possession of air rifles, pellets for air rifles, etc.

"Are you back here again Fletcher? What are you in for this time?

"same as last time Mr McKay"

"Remind me , what were you in for last time Fletcher?"

"Getting caught Mr McKay"

Once you have a conviction for violence your card is marked for shooting forever, and thats how it should be. Do leopards change their spots? Not in the wild they don't

Sorry but leopards do change their spots. Everyone messes up at some point in their life.

Edited by Tattooed

My two penith for what it's worth is,if you hold a cert it makes you think twice before you act, the risk of losing it would/should affect your reaction to situations.

How times change-when I applied for my SGC in 1980 I had convictions for various stupid things that I had done including using a Firearm without a licence/underage/armed trespass (x5)/purchasing ammunition underage and another odd one concerning a private pond and some Ducks :no: . Licence came thru in less than 3 weeks-also sailed thru my Firearms and explosives licences. Not proud by any means of what I did - stupid and immature of me but I guess I was lucky to be born in a less strict age :/

I always believed that ABH was actually fighting, fists etc and that GBH was using a tool / weapon? I was no angel in my youth up to the age of say 19 or so, but that was 30 years ago. Marriage and being a father calmed me down and made me grow up. I got my certs ok over 10 years ago, just had my 3rd renewal sorted although never been in trouble since and never been jailed, but since having the certs and SIA license you do always have it in the back of your mind to walk away from trouble when it flares up or else risk losing everything. its also the same with work these days as well. Years ago you could quit a job in the morning walk round the corner and find a new job by dinnertime, times have changed, online applications, and searches into your background make it almost impossible for some and so getting back to the original post my only advice would be get a air rifle, keep in the game and get out and about with others in the sport and enjoy what you can. In hindsight haven't we all done things that we regret and would have done different if we had our time again?....unfortunately its not until your an old *** that you sometimes realise....life's just one big exam that you never seem to pass

I would join a clay pigeon club (and i mean join-not just turn up as and when you feel),attend regularly using their shotguns then re-apply in 2 years. Give them proof that you're serious and not a menace to the public and go from there. You're not prohibited from handling firearms & ammunition so neither the club or yourself would not be breaking any laws. Join BASC or CA and seek their advice too.

Apart from appealing at court,you have very little options.

Sorry but it doesn't work like that

When you sign in at our club, part of the declaration states you are not a prohibited person, you are.

By being refused you are a prohibited person

Also the section 11 permit that allows non certificate holders to shoot states

This authority does not apply to shoots involving live game, NOR IS IT TO PROVIDE OPPORTUNITY FOR REGULAR SHOOTING PERSONS WHO DO NOT POSSESS SHOTGUN CERTIFICATES.

If you are doing this at grounds that possess section 11 certs then you have to sign in, the signing in sheets have to be kept for police inspection spot checks for up to 2 years (Northumbria), so you are in danger of dropping them in it and losing their section 11,

We have had ours checked once so that proves there is always the chance.

at the end of the day no matter how bad you feel about it, you are a prohibited person.

:shaun:

Shaun, I don't think he is a prohibited person. Though the posts have been a bit confusing and contradictory.

If he has been refused a certificate then surely he is prohibited?

He is deemed as not suitable to hold a shotgun certificate, thats the way I read it, how can someone that cannot hold a certificate be allowed to shoot?

I may be reading it wrong, we need a legal bod or DavidBASC to comment.

But this part stops him shooting at clubs

NOR IS IT TO PROVIDE OPPORTUNITY FOR REGULAR SHOOTING PERSONS WHO DO NOT POSSESS SHOTGUN CERTIFICATES

Some of you talking on here like I've not changed lol Iam happily married two kids life's so different now I was a young ******** simple has

nobody is saying you havn't changed and sorted yourself out,

I am just pointing out the legalities of shooting at clubs when you have been refused a licence

Some of you talking on here like I've not changed lol Iam happily married two kids life's so different now I was a young ******** simple has

You have been rather evasive though. I - and at least one other person - have asked if you would detail your offence somewhat, as the sentencing guidelines make it pretty clear what you've got to have done to get 18 months inside for ABH.

Appreciate your honesty/viewpoint,must admit I have not fully read thread but on what I have read times/goalposts have moved.Your position may be as much a result of "postcode lottery" re:how facts are assessed as against your true suitability/safety.Unfortunately the unpredictable behaviour of loonies/suicide artists etc.makes police position cautious to say the least.