What time is too early to start shooting on a Sunday?

chasechicken

Hi all,

Just seeing what the general consensus is. Obviously depends on how far away you are from dwellings etc.

I have a lot of other stuff on this weekend but really want to get a few hours out on the pigeons. In order to get a decent amount of time I'll want to be setting up at 7am on Sunday (the clocks do of course go back, so it will feel like 8am). I probably won't shoot until 8am but is that still too early? Nearest house is about 0.4 miles away with just a couple of low hedges in between. I probably won't have to shoot towards the houses so maybe the sound won't be too bad, but do you think that's too early??

It all depends on how close you are to the houses of non-country folk, and how many shots you expect to fire...

On a weekday I would normally start at 08.00 or so, and expect little trouble. However, I have had plod walking towards me following a noise complaint from townies living 250 yards away.

On a Sunday morning common courtesy where I live dictates that I would not start before 09.00. Even then, I would not set up facing houses 300 yards away so that the noise is directed away from where they are..

It all depends where, and how many shots you expect to fire...

Here's a little tale. Many years ago i had permission to shoot a local estate, i had free reign from the farm manager to go as often as i liked, i set up at dawn one Sunday morning in late march on some rape, i had been happily banging away for about an hour, it was about 7am by this time when across the field in front of me i see a person walking in a very purposeful manner in my direction, as he gets closer i see that he's wearing pyjamers under a dressing gown and wellies and he's not happy. He informed me he owned the estate and that i was to F### off immediately as his wife was not amused at being woken up at silly o clock. he then asked how many i had shot, i said about thirty, he was impressed and said go away and come back after 9am. i shot that estate for many years after and we often laughed about his pyjamers and wellies.

It all depends on how close you are to the houses of non-country folk, and how many shots you expect to fire...

On a weekday I would normally start at 08.00 or so, and expect little trouble. However, I have had plod walking towards me following a noise complaint from townies living 250 yards away.

On a Sunday morning common courtesy where I live dictates that I would not start before 09.00. Even then, I would not set up facing houses 300 yards away so that the noise is directed away from where they are..

It all depends where, and how many shots you expect to fire...

Yes, very sensible advice, surprisingly so from a Northerner..!

Cat.

Yes, very sensible advice, surprisingly so from a Northerner..!

Cat.

I wuz allers told that common sense sense starts in t'North and weakens as it filters darn sarf due ter gravity.

Yer shud come up er more often and larn a lot more.

But there again, if yer do then house prices might go up to the daft levels that you lots pay.

Stay darn there!

Edited by Dead-Eyed Duck

Hi all,

Just seeing what the general consensus is. Obviously depends on how far away you are from dwellings etc.

I have a lot of other stuff on this weekend but really want to get a few hours out on the pigeons. In order to get a decent amount of time I'll want to be setting up at 7am on Sunday (the clocks do of course go back, so it will feel like 8am). I probably won't shoot until 8am but is that still too early? Nearest house is about 0.4 miles away with just a couple of low hedges in between. I probably won't have to shoot towards the houses so maybe the sound won't be too bad, but do you think that's too early??

You may be counting on your pigeons too early. Menys the time that I have planned to set up and been left sitting and waiting pigeonless and the field that was grey yesterday doesn't have a pigeon in the sky. It isn't much fun setting up to sit getting cold for a couple of hours before you decide that it ain't going to happen today. They don't seem to start feeding that early around here. I have an idea of where I think that I am going but I generally do a bit of recce before I set up so it is usually about ten by the time I start shooting

As you said try and beware of those you are going to disturb, but also be aware that sometimes being out at first light is best.

I will often start shooting crows at first light, which is sometimes 4.30 a.m during the summer. Though I tend to shoot away from houses (apart from the farmers and since I am helping them out I am not concerned).