Herefordshire very quiet

stuy

Hello all, spent the last 2 days driving around my permission and cant find pigeon in numbers anywhere , bean stubble, and wheat, very quiet but we have a massive natural harvest in our woods at the moment and just assume thats where they are , it was quite a different story this time last year with thousands of pigeon in the county, I was working in Lincolnshire last week and seen hundreds! !!!

In my area its the total opposite. Last year huge amount of beech mast kept them off the fields and we got nothing all winter. This year there is no beech and the birds are still about. Slight problem though is the impact of the new EU rules. Alot of my permissions are ploughing in stubbles that would usually be left alone and provide early winter shooting. They are seeding to meet crop diversity requirements to access grants. Not really sure now what this winter is going to be like.

I was working in Herefordshire last week and saw thousands.

Only kidding Stu. I am sure you will find plenty soon.

It is exactly a year since we shot together. The annual migration had just started and I must have seen 10,000 pigeons that day. Any sign of such movement this time?

Nothing at the moment jdog, it is eerily quite on the pigeon front but as we all know it could change at any time hopefully!

I was working on a job in market deeping last week pigeon flight line s every where couldn't concentrate on job ha

Hello all, spent the last 2 days driving around my permission ......

Two days to drive around your permission? That must be one hell of a farm!! Ho Ho

Sadly the same situation North of Bristol. An interesting day two weeks ago. Now, nothing.

Yes I am fortunate to have in excess of 40,000 acres to shoot over , but does take a few days to do it properly getting to the fields at the right time of day is paramount, a field 10 am could be dead but at 12 midday could be jumping with pigeon, so I double back alot on some fields

We may have to wait a bit Stuy? I'm from a bit further up in Herefordshire & doing the 'road trip' yesterday I found the same thing _ small pockets of birds in the trees & woods.After the usual 70-80 miles on a Sat morning & getting twitchy as the clock ticked on towards2pm. I decided to set up in a line of oak trees,flighting them without any decoys.The rain had stopped (pretty much) by then but so had the wind; Good fun with high ,spooky birds after the first barrage.

I think that kind of shooting can be as much fun as dragging all that kit over sticky ground & finding you need to move after an hour;We may be waiting until late December before they clear all the acorns ,hawberries & beech mast in Hereford?

As for kneeling down to shoot -forget it!The search party would find me 2 days later still on my knees.

How does PC do it week in & week out. I nearly crash my car every Sat driving around looking for flightlines .If I see three birds together I veer into the verge watching & usually ,after waiting & watching that's all there are.The only decent flightlines I see are when doing a long haul on the motorway!

• 3 weeks later...

We may have to wait a bit Stuy? I'm from a bit further up in Herefordshire & doing the 'road trip' yesterday I found the same thing _ small pockets of birds in the trees & woods.After the usual 70-80 miles on a Sat morning & getting twitchy as the clock ticked on towards2pm. I decided to set up in a line of oak trees,flighting them without any decoys.The rain had stopped (pretty much) by then but so had the wind; Good fun with high ,spooky birds after the first barrage.

I think that kind of shooting can be as much fun as dragging all that kit over sticky ground & finding you need to move after an hour;We may be waiting until late December before they clear all the acorns ,hawberries & beech mast in Hereford?

As for kneeling down to shoot -forget it!The search party would find me 2 days later still on my knees.

How does PC do it week in & week out. I nearly crash my car every Sat driving around looking for flightlines .If I see three birds together I veer into the verge watching & usually ,after waiting & watching that's all there are.The only decent flightlines I see are when doing a long haul on the motorway!

As we are near the centre of England we seem to have birds always around , this year they are on the Oaks in small numbers scattered around the area. As Stuy states you have to be at the field at the time they are feeding so the area history can be a help.

I was working in Herefordshire last week and saw thousands.

Only kidding Stu. I am sure you will find plenty soon.

It is exactly a year since we shot together. The annual migration had just started and I must have seen 10,000 pigeons that day. Any sign of such movement this time?

as yet to see the "migration" like last year start............must be weather related...

as yet to see the "migration" like last year start............must be weather related...

I have also seen the start of the migration, while on a trip to cardiff seen hundreds way up heading off over the bristol channel Edited by stuy

Hey up "oldun"

I am from Leominster, the pigeons have returned,,flocks and flocks ,mainly flying about overhead,,

I went out this morning, had a few shots over decoys,,had one very large flock turn up,,2 shots ,one bird,,then they cleared off,,so not really interested in feeding,,old stubble I was on. last year they were here but no shooters could rely on then feeding after one shot. A bit of a pain really,

We had lots of birds flying high south in the rain on Saturday, not interested in food or decoys . The main route seemed to be down the M5 but they were very high and not dropable.

thats exactly how it started off last year........but nothing here at the moment..