too much drilling

dad

20 fields of drilling done between sunday and wednesday over various farms i shoot so i had thursday friday saturday and sunday to shoot some pigeons. started 9.30 thursday drove almost every where 38 miles actualy and finaly found some on some drilled barley quite a lot coming from all directions unfortunatley not one of my perms, i know the farmer slightly a mate used to shoot there but he moved away and i never got round to seeing him myself. we found the farmer and got a yes kill them all which was a surprise, got the pad lock code and off we went, still a lot of birds there but its now 2.15 pm so we decided to shoot the next day. we were there by 10 am and not a pigeon in sight just 3 crows we sat watching till 11am and moved on to look for somewhere else, at least we got a new perm about 200 acres. eventualy we found a small field with about 50 on it that was our perm but the field next to it which wasnt had about 500 on it so a quick call to our farmer to find out who owns it,he says i spray it for a farmer who lives 20 miles away, he is a very busy man but i will try and call him for you if he says ok i will call you back, we waited an hour and decided to leave and go roosting it was now 1.45pm we got to the wood and i decided to phone the missus and noticed 5 missed calls some how i had put the bloody thing on mute there was a text too that said (he said get stuck in) too late now so we decided to go early saturday. got there 9.30 am nothing on it went away for breakfast came back 11.15 about 250 on it with birds in the air, looked promising, set up quickly 3 hours later packed up with 3 shots each and 2 pigeons. at least we got 2 more perms. i reckon we had about 1800 acres of drilling. they dont seem to stay on shot land for more than a day, i wonder if its one of their survival tactics, dont stay in one place too long.

I would expect that they have gleaned all the easily available food, hence the move to pastures news.

Drilling is very efficient these days with not much left on top.

20 fields of drilling done between sunday and wednesday over various farms i shoot so i had thursday friday saturday and sunday to shoot some pigeons. started 9.30 thursday drove almost every where 38 miles actualy and finaly found some on some drilled barley quite a lot coming from all directions unfortunatley not one of my perms, i know the farmer slightly a mate used to shoot there but he moved away and i never got round to seeing him myself. we found the farmer and got a yes kill them all which was a surprise, got the pad lock code and off we went, still a lot of birds there but its now 2.15 pm so we decided to shoot the next day. we were there by 10 am and not a pigeon in sight just 3 crows we sat watching till 11am and moved on to look for somewhere else, at least we got a new perm about 200 acres. eventualy we found a small field with about 50 on it that was our perm but the field next to it which wasnt had about 500 on it so a quick call to our farmer to find out who owns it,he says i spray it for a farmer who lives 20 miles away, he is a very busy man but i will try and call him for you if he says ok i will call you back, we waited an hour and decided to leave and go roosting it was now 1.45pm we got to the wood and i decided to phone the missus and noticed 5 missed calls some how i had put the bloody thing on mute there was a text too that said (he said get stuck in) too late now so we decided to go early saturday. got there 9.30 am nothing on it went away for breakfast came back 11.15 about 250 on it with birds in the air, looked promising, set up quickly 3 hours later packed up with 3 shots each and 2 pigeons. at least we got 2 more perms. i reckon we had about 1800 acres of drilling. they dont seem to stay on shot land for more than a day, i wonder if its one of their survival tactics, dont stay in one place too long.

Edited by Penelope

I would expect that they have gleaned all the easily available food, hence the move to pastures news.

Drilling is very efficient these days with not much left on top.

walked on most of the fields and still seed to be found,

Sounds like a frustrating few days but well done on the extra permission.

it was. i think we are getting over shot round here now,we have 3 proffesionals that i know of. this has been the worst harvest for birds commiting to decoys for a long time.lucky with the perms though i try to get another farmer to ask on my behalf it works quite well.

yes not been to bad of late,

hell of a lot of birds about at the moment but when they turn up they are in big flocks and very high.

trying to get them to decoy has been fun lots just flying by

taking no notice but then it only takes one to take an interest

and another will follow , a lot have been young birds

nice picture love your chocolat springer my shooting buddy has one with a white bib, what was you on. been looking for a trained black or choc cocker my self cant seem to find one. my coventry mate terry only shoots in the winter on some big estates he says the pigeons pour onto the rape fields in the 1000s. we only got a couple at the week end i think they have moved west and north to follow the later harvest.