Air ranger pellet choice

oowee

Just ordered a .22 Daystate Air ranger (40FPE) fac in anticipation of my ticket coming through :).

The gun shop says I should use standard daystate soverign pellets (15.9 gr) rather than heavy weight ones, to keep up the pellet speed.

I realise that different rifles will perform better with different pellets but what do you think as a starter for ten for pellet choice?

Too light imho. they will spiral, skirts will get blown, etc, but never say never, give them a try. My Airwolf is pinhole accurate with bis mags, 21grn. The John Rotherbys, not the ones made for Bisley.........they are carp. and AA Field heavy 18grn. They work really well on a still evening out to 70 yards. Hope this helps. :yes:

Too light imho. they will spiral, skirts will get blown, etc, but never say never, give them a try. My Airwolf is pinhole accurate with bis mags, 21grn. The John Rotherbys, not the ones made for Bisley.........they are carp. and AA Field heavy 18grn. They work really well on a still evening out to 70 yards. Hope this helps. :yes:

Thanks for the advice. The pellets you reference where do you get them and how do you know they are made by JR rather than for Bisley?

As ever though, I'd say sod the FPS. Get the pellet that's accurate up to your max shooting distance. There's no point in having a high FPS if you can't hit a barn door!

totally agree chris,

to the op,

if you want my honest opinion lower the ftls down to 30ftlb and you will have a better choice of pellet and also through experience a more accurate one, jsb exacts 15.89g work wonders at 30ftlb but at 40ftlb they certainly become a lot more unstable , as chris said don't worry about weight or going for a heavier pellet, just find one that is accurate whatever the weight and stick with it, i would not go lighter than the jsb 15.89g

the ranger is a superb bit of kit and is my go to rifle all the time, not quite as sweet as the airwolf mct but certainly as accurate

atb Evo

Get some JSB, Jumbo heavies, 18.13gr, H&N Barracuda 21.14gr, Barracuda match 21.14gr and try all three

basically you do not want to be below 18g otherwise stability of pellet affects accuracy. as above 1050fps as you start to see boundary effect from supersonic drag starting to affect pellet accuracy.

Download chairgun from the hawke/deben scope site and have a play with it to see what your pellets are going.

Edited by Stonepark