Rough Legged Buzzard and Short Eared Owls.

poontang

I took a short trip yesterday to a local reserve to see if I could get a couple of shots of a Rough Legged Buzzard which had been in the vicinity for a few days. On pulling into the car park I could sense a certain excitement among the many birders and photographers who had turned up. Normally I like to get out and about alone but it looked like I had a bit of company for the trip. The place, which is usually quiet, was rammed with people all setting up their tripods, spotting scopes, binoculars and cameras.

I paid for a 2 hour stay at the machine and went for a wander.

Within a couple of minutes I spotted a Short Eared Owl (SEO) being mobbed by a crow. The weather was pretty overcast and the birds quite distant but things were looking up. I wandered over towards a small hide overlooking a reed bed, only to see another SEO sat on top of the hide. It flew off about 100 yards and settled on a post. A dog walker passed within 20ft of it, so obviously I had to have some of that. The bird sat for about 10 minutes, diving occasionally into the long grass and giving me the chance of a few shots. A good start to the day...and it only got better. There were up to 6 SEO's quartering the fields and coming in close...very close at times. I was in my element and the birds were totally unphased by me and all the other people about.

I'd come to see the Rough Legged Buzzard and after a while I could see a large group gathered near the seawall some 300 yards away. I was pretty sure that's where I should be, and a quick conversation with another photographer confirmed my suspicions. I grabbed my gear and set off across the fields.

When I got to gaggle of people I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Sat in the grass, no more than 10ft away, and chomping on a freshly killed rabbit was a stunning Rough Legged Buzzard.

It was almost posing for photo's and didn't give a damn about the 20 or so people standing so close all clicking away. People on bikes went past, young children and even dogs came within feet of the bird, and it didn't budge. It was more bothered by a wasp which seemed to be attracted to the blood on its face! Incredible.

Unfortunately the bird was in fairly long grass so I could only get head shots, and a couple of distant pics after it finally flew off.

I spent the rest of the day taking pics of the SEO's, they were everywhere!! I got so engrossed in the birds I didn't get back to the car 'till the sun was setting, totally forgetting that I'd only paid for 2 hours...so a nice £50 fine for me, lol.

Anyway, sorry for the epic tale, hope you enjoy the pics.

IMGP3318.jpg

IMGP3284.jpg

IMGP3325.jpg

IMGP3351.jpg

IMGP3197.jpg

IMGP3155.jpg

IMGP3421.jpg

IMGP3457.jpg

IMGP3461.jpg

IMGP3504.jpg

IMGP3513.jpg

IMGP3514.jpg

Stunning photos of Stunning birds. :good:

I see Buzzards nearly everyday ' but never a Rough legged one' although there was one snapped by a birder and put on a birding website and it was in a field very close to me.I have seen dead ones mounted in glass case's.

The Wasp' if it is a wasp..? is interesting.I wonder is it attracted by the blood.It doesnt seem to be bothering the Buzzard.

I also have never seen a Short eared owl although again they have been reported locally.They are an awesome looking Bird and i particularly like the 3rd photo up from the bottom.

Thank you for your kind comments, much appreciated. I paid the fine a couple of days ago, and as it was within 14 days I got a 50% discount, so only £25!!

PT, as said in a previous post; superb photography!! I'm hoping to get shots like this, yours are very sharp and clear. what camera are you using? and it's the 150-500mm you shoot with right?

Atb,

Dave

Hi Dave, I've switched from the 150 - 500 and tend to use a 300mm f/4 prime lens now, I also use a 1.4x converter if I want a little bit more reach. I found the 'sweet spot' on the Sigma was f/8 which is fine in good light but too slow in most UK weather situations, especially with winter coming. I also like to travel light and keep mobile, which I can do with a smaller lens.

I went to the same spot yesterday with a mate who had a 600mm f/4 and he really struggled. I walked about 3 miles on Sunday when on my own...my mate could never have done that so easily lugging his lens about.

It's horses for courses, a big lens is fine if you're fairly static, but traipsing around muddy marsh land all day I prefer to travel light and get closer to the subject.

I was using a Pentax K-50, though that's soon going to make way for a K-3.

Poontang - Old Hall by any chance?

No mate, they were taken at Holland Haven. I think SEO's are showing at Old Hall now though. :yes: