Best time of the day for decoying?

Tomo-1

I have recently returned to pigeon shooting and remember rightly or wrongly that the best bags seamed to be mid to late afternoon as a general rule, when the birds were stocking up on food for the evening.

What is your experience throughout the year for when you would turn up for a day on decoys? Thanks.

Winter rape, 10-13:00 Is usually what I find to be the prime time. Summer shooting 12:00 onwards and throughout the afternoon is my preferred window.....you do need to do plenty of reconnaissance though and check the fields at different times of the day as there's no set rule and good bags can be had or missed out on by setting up at the wrong times.

I've never bothered with the whole going at 7am and staying all day but I have seen people get big bags theough doing so, not for me though!

• 4 weeks later...

I shoot pigeons in Belgium. I get up early and set up my decoys before sunrise.Those decoys are on the ground on wobblers.

Then I shoot untill 11.00.

After 11.00 I change plans . Because the pigeons have eaten by that time they are ready to rest ,so I put up decoys in the trees.

The pigeons just can't stay away from them.That way I shoot untill 13.00 .

From then on,if I have the time,I start all over again with the decoys on the ground untill 15.30 .

At 16.00 I wait for them near their sleeping places (row of high oak trees in the middle of my hunting ground).

I think it's a matter of knowing what "flightpaths" the pigeons have on you hunting ground. It's no use setting up all your decoys and your hide if the birds never fly over the place where you're waiting. So first observe a few days,then just sit on the right place and "hope".

Good Luck :good:

hunter.gif.pagespeed.ce.GRvNRKGFmJ.gif

Edited by wilfried

• 3 months later...

there is no good/bad time, just re-con for times that may give you half a chance the other half luck, good luck

Good reconnaissance will tell you the best time to shoot.

Go to where the birds are, not where you want them to be.

Be prepared to change your pattern.

I have a morning only shoot on one permission and 3 miles away it is afternoons only.

"apologies I did realise this thread started in October"

Edited by bakerboy

best time for me is.... daylight, that works for me. ​

If u ain't got a good answer don't bother people want advice not people joking about

There is an element of truth in this. Pigeons don't follow timetables. For most of us, juggling pigeon shooting with a busy work and family life, the best time to go pigeon shooting is simply whenever we can.

Thanks EXUDATE,

I was not being stupid or rude,, just pointing out there is no set time for shooting woodies, I have been shooting them for more than 40 years.

I have shot them from dawn to dusk.

My sentiments exactly! I shoot not far from you, by the looks of it, on a farm just outside of Milton Keynes.