Badger proof feeders. What do you use?

As the title suggests, what do you guys find the best type of feeder to prevent badgers doing too much damage?

post-36234-0-13103400-1446132164_thumb.jpg Wright feeder?

post-36234-0-39111200-1446131962_thumb.jpg Slit type feeder?

post-36234-0-63782500-1446132016_thumb.jpg Window feeder?

post-36234-0-33546800-1446132113_thumb.jpg pan feeder?

I know there is the badger guard and spike option with sping feeders but it starts getting bit expensive then.

Edited by Colc08

I'm in the middle of converting to trays or pans whatever you want to call them, springs with spikes didn't work and the solwayfeeders springs with the bolt on the bottom of the spring to make then deer or badger proof were useless the birds couldn't get any feed out them

• 4 weeks later...

Have this year tried the slit feeders from Solway Feeders but the slits are to wide for dry wheat, one peck results in about 20 grains of wheat coming out. You end up with an empty feeder over a sea of wheat. To reduce this I have put a plastic bottle top into the bottom of the feeder to stop flow from the horizontal slots, this has helped. Of course once the wheat gets damp then maybe things will improve but am not that impressed at present, narrow the slots Solway and its a runner.

Intend to try some Wright ones on my next batch of barrels to be built next summer. Have over 200 feeders on springs but many holes cut with a torch rather than a drilled hole needed for these new designs so not an easy change.

A

• 1 month later...

Have this year tried the slit feeders from Solway Feeders but the slits are to wide for dry wheat, one peck results in about 20 grains of wheat coming out. You end up with an empty feeder over a sea of wheat.

I've also tried a couple of these and get the same result, I've come to the same conclusion that the slits are too wide. We have a massive deer problem on our shoot, badgers to a lesser extent, but it doesn't matter what it is, I think even the rabbits get in on the action - as soon as they've found it they just keep bashing the nozzle and hey presto empty feeder, big pile of wheat.

The only way I've found to stop the deer & badger is to fence the feeders off using pig fencing turned upside down. I know some people don't like fencing feeders off because they say it puts the birds off using them but birds can't feed at all from an empty feeder and wheat is not only expensive but takes a hell of a lot of leg work obtaining it, storing it and lugging it round to all your feeders.

Edited by Jim Neal