Gravel Drive

walshie

We have a gravel drive leading up to a gravel courtyard. I want to keep it as you can hear cars and people approaching, but over the years it's really compressed and in several places it's just a solid mass.

Do I need to rake this up or just get a load more gravel and spread it out on top?

No quick fix in that case, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. It will probably happen to most of the drive if the sub base isn't laid correctly. Quick fix - rake off the gravel over a larger area than the effected part, dig out, hardcore, compact. Type 1, compact. rake gravel back over

I think it's been here for 200 years so it's not sinking that quickly, plus it's a massive area overall. I think I'll give the worst bits a rake and add some gravel and see how it goes first, then take more drastic action if required.

Thanks for everyone's advice. :good:

I think it's been here for 200 years so it's not sinking that quickly, plus it's a massive area overall. I think I'll give the worst bits a rake and add some gravel and see how it goes first, then take more drastic action if required.

Thanks for everyone's advice. :good:

you really are a southern puff............ gravel driveway leading to a gravel courtyard indeed. Have a word with yourself :)

you really are a southern puff............ gravel driveway leading to a gravel courtyard indeed. Have a word with yourself :)

Just because you northerners think a bit of the black stuff is the height of fashion. :lol:

Edited by walshie

Do you have a fountain in there as well?

Thought we had one, t;was a burst pipe! :lol::lol:

And it's a tarmac drive.

If you ask some of the door to door " tarmacers" that offer to do a cheap job, it will start off as tarmac and finish as gravel....

No I actually meant square of gravel where i can just about turn the car round. :good:

gotta give it to you walshie...

turning the 'rolls' about does require a fair amount of space I bet? :hmm:

and the stretched hummer needs even more.... :lol:

Edited by brett1985