Browning medalist

14Supersport04

Hi guys,

Just wondering what you think of the browning medalist as a cheap all-rounder.

I am looking at two at the moment both around £500 one has 28" barrels and the other 30" both multi choke. Any advice and opinions would be great and any sugestions on which barrel lenght to choose would be greatly appreciated aswell.

Thanks!

That's a bit steep for one of those. I'd have said more £250 for a bit of a rough one, up to £400 for one in pretty good nick.

I used to own one in 28" barrels. Never let me down at all. Ignore the snobs who tell you it's not a 'proper' Browning.

EDIT : Perfect timing with B525's post regarding price !

Edited by robbiep

Before paying for a 12g Medalist inspect the ejectors very carefully for cracks - using a glass if necessary. Snapped ejectors are the only real weakness with them and fitting new ones isn't a simple plug and play exercise. I don't know what ejectors cost now but 15 years ago they were over £60 and had to be fitted and timed by a gunsmith.

I've shot several and once owned an identical gun badged up as 'Rottweil'. They handle quite well and shoot straight although the triggers were always a bit draggy.

It's a rock solid gun.

Shot one for a few years and was very reliable. Ignore the "it isn't a Browning" brigade, they are popular guns and always sell well hence they hold their value too. Had mine for about 5 years and got a little more than I'd paid for it.

At that money you'd expect the gun to be exceptional condition. Id be looking at £400 for a good condition gun.

Cos

Ok, I'll play.

The ONLY reason I persist in labouring the point of the Medalists heritage is because I do not like seeing people being conned, and I'll keep labouring the point for as long as people call it a Browning and there are people out there parting with their hard earned in the belief they are buying into the Browning name.

There are still RFD's advertising Medalists as Brownings. Whether this is through deliberate deceit in an attempt to make a sale or whether through ignorance, I have no idea, but there is no escaping the fact the Medalist is NOT a Browning. The cynic in me suspects the 'Browning' Medalist will command a higher resale value than the FIAS Medalist.

DO NOT buy a Medalist in the belief you are buying a Browning; you aren't. It never has been a Browning. It is a FIAS Medalist; always was, and Browning have never had anything to do with the design, manufacture or sale of the gun whatsoever.

Some people seem to regard this fact as a slur on the Medalist, but as far as I'm aware there is nothing wrong with the gun whatsoever. They are popular and well made.

If you feel your Medalist has been devalued because of this fact then this is something you need to take up with the person who sold you it and advertised it as a Browning, and this was one of the factors which clinched the deal.

Ok, I'll play.

The ONLY reason I persist in labouring the point of the Medalists heritage is because I do not like seeing people being conned, and I'll keep labouring the point for as long as people call it a Browning and there are people out there parting with their hard earned in the belief they are buying into the Browning name.

There are still RFD's advertising Medalists as Brownings. Whether this is through deliberate deceit in an attempt to make a sale or whether through ignorance, I have no idea, but there is no escaping the fact the Medalist is NOT a Browning. The cynic in me suspects the 'Browning' Medalist will command a higher resale value than the FIAS Medalist.

DO NOT buy a Medalist in the belief you are buying a Browning; you aren't. It never has been a Browning. It is a FIAS Medalist; always was, and Browning have never had anything to do with the design, manufacture or sale of the gun whatsoever.

Some people seem to regard this fact as a slur on the Medalist, but as far as I'm aware there is nothing wrong with the gun whatsoever. They are popular and well made.

If you feel your Medalist has been devalued because of this fact then this is something you need to take up with the person who sold you it and advertised it as a Browning, and this was one of the factors which clinched the deal.

It's a Browning.

That is the name on it.

There is no 'deliberate deceit' about it.

You might as well insist that the Toyota Aygo and Peugeot 107 are both actually a Citroen C1, and anyone trying to sell them as anything other than a Citroen is a fraudster. Because, underneath, they are the same car. They've got the same running gear, same loom and electronics, but just rebadged, and are all built in the same factory, on the same production line.

Obviously, such a 'fraudster' approach would be ridiculous.

It's a Browning.

That is the name on it.

There is no 'deliberate deceit' about it.

You might as well insist that the Toyota Aygo and Peugeot 107 are both actually a Citroen C1, and anyone trying to sell them as anything other than a Citroen is a fraudster. Because, underneath, they are the same car. They've got the same running gear, same loom and electronics, but just rebadged, and are all built in the same factory, on the same production line.

Obviously, such a 'fraudster' approach would be ridiculous.

Ok, show me a picture of a Medalist with the Browning name or logo stamped on it ( and not the box it came in; that's just marketing ) and I'll apologise and post a full retraction.

Last time this topic was up for discussion someone tried to make a similar point with the VW and Skoda if I recall, as you are attempting to make with the Toyota, Peugeot and Citroen above.

Similarities also apply to the Fiat 500 and Ford Ka. While many models of cars share the same chassis, running gear and even engines, the major difference here is that all relevant car manufacturers, including those you mention above, have invested large amounts of money into the design and manufacture of those models, which means they have quite rightly badged them as such, whereas Browning invested absolutely nothing into the design or manufacture of the Medalist.

BWM, which were Brownings importers and distributors at the time, commissioned the Italian company FIAS to design and manufacture the Medalist. Browning played no part in it.