2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara Turbo diesel gone

deeksofdoom

Lads,

Just had a run in to the local tesco and while climbing a steep hill on the way home the I noticed that the car was as dead as a maggot, accelerator was doing nothing and had to go down through the gears. The immobiliser light was on there and there was no power.

I managed to limp home driving at snail pace, I think its the Turbo Diesel anyone had any similar problems.

I can't hear the turbo whining when I accelerate. Anyone have any ideas?

Some possibilities-

Split/damaged intercooler. Split/damaged/disconnected intercooler pipes or hoses. Turbo control valve (if fitted) possibly clogged. If the turbo is variable vane, the vanes can stick. Clogged dpf/catalytic converter. Failed MAF sensor (easy to check. Disconnect it and take the vehicle for a drive. If it drives a lot better then you may need a new MAF sensor). Clogged fuel filter or dodgy fuel. Supermarket fuel constitutes dodgy fuel imo. Clogged air filter, exhaust valves stuck closed, clogged EGR valve or blocked pcv system. Just a few possibilities.

It SOUNDS like it has gone into 'limp' mode to make it less likely to aggravate the fault that has occurred and do more damage. If it runs but is not making a lot of noise I'd guess its not as serious as you might be thinking.

First thing is to get the fault codes read - and a fault code reader is cheap enough these days for everyone to keep one in the glove compartment.... to save themselves a lot of money.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-Swift-Alto-Grand-Vitara-SX4-Ignis-Splash-WagonR-Fault-Code-Reader-Scanner-/321698929846

Also join a Suzuiki forum - there will be a few of them - and loads of the members will have had the same issue.

It SOUNDS like it has gone into 'limp' mode to make it less likely to aggravate the fault that has occurred and do more damage. If it runs but is not making a lot of noise I'd guess its not as serious as you might be thinking.

First thing is to get the fault codes read - and a fault code reader is cheap enough these days for everyone to keep one in the glove compartment.... to save themselves a lot of money.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-Swift-Alto-Grand-Vitara-SX4-Ignis-Splash-WagonR-Fault-Code-Reader-Scanner-/321698929846

Also join a Suzuiki forum - there will be a few of them - and loads of the members will have had the same issue.

+1

Get the fault codes read or you're just guessing.

As has been said, it could be a whole list of things, some of which aren't too bad to fix. I had a pipe split once and went into limp mode. Thought I'd blown the turbo and turned out to be a £1.99 vacuum hose (fault codes isolated the problem).

As long as you aren't blowing big smoke or steam then hopefully it's all fixable.

Yeah I spoke with the main dealer there this morning and it's covered under warranty as I only bought it in June.

He asked if I had driven it this morning to see if the fault had cleared. I started it the fault light were still on the dash, but apparently the fault will clear but the alarms will still be on the memory.

Recovery truck is coming this afternoon to see if I can drive it or get it recovered to the main dealers. Thanks for the advice, put my mind at ease..... A bit anyway!😭

Yeah I spoke with the main dealer there this morning and it's covered under warranty as I only bought it in June.

He asked if I had driven it this morning to see if the fault had cleared. I started it the fault light were still on the dash, but apparently the fault will clear but the alarms will still be on the memory.

Recovery truck is coming this afternoon to see if I can drive it or get it recovered to the main dealers. Thanks for the advice, put my mind at ease..... A bit anyway!😭

Got the car back today, the EGR valve was stuck. He asked does my wife drive it. I said no it was me. Suzuki Vitaras need a good blow out on the motorway.

Great result - as many predicted, it wasn't a serious issue lol.

Now get used to trying to be the car in front. You don't need to be a hooligan but a bit of spunky driving keeps turbo diesels breathing nicely.

Also get the code reader.

Edited by Dave-G

I got into the car to go to work this morning, not even a mile out the road when she lost power again. Rang garage and they are sending the recovery truck with a replacement car.

Went out there to see if I could drive and she started and drove perfect, just went a couple of miles out the road.

I'm at a loss now they can take it away again, it's making a liar of me but there must be something up with it.

DPF / EGR is a possibility, how would I know?

if DPF was clogged it wouldn't allow air to turbo???

If it was the EGR it would be sputtering and loosing power, as the carburetor would be getting clogged? ???

i don't know throw me a bone here.

No carburettor on a diesel they are injected via pump ,any warning lights will need to be checked for codes .

Got the car back today, the EGR valve was stuck. He asked does my wife drive it. I said no it was me. Suzuki Vitaras need a good blow out on the motorway.

All diesels need that plus an injector cleaner added to fuel at regular intervals , are you in RAC or AA they will check fault codes out and sometimes more .

Well I just wanted to give a further update to the vitara.

Got the car back Monday night and drove it home went fine no problems. Went to work in it Tuesday morning less than a mile from home power went again, turned around and limped home. Rang main dealer they sent recovery truck and replacement car. While I was waiting for truck to show up I went out to car to see if it was still down on power, started no problem and drove like there was nothing wrong with it. It went back to garage at any rate.

I collected car this evening, was assured that it was now 100% fixed, they had replaced a split pipe to EGR valve.

Drove off in car 10 miles down the road drop in owner again, same as last time. Pulled in to service station rang main dealer, cup of coffee later and started car nothing wrong with car driving perfect again. So it's now back with dealer again.

No lights on dash or anything, just drop in power switch off engine and go again in half hour and she drives perfect.

There is almost certainly a fault code initiating 'limp mode'

If you get the fault code reader that I suggested, you will be able to see the fault code, note it down then erase it to get a few more miles before repeating that cycle.

When you get home Google the fault code and find masses of posts by people on a Suzuki forum who have all had the same issues - you will then read about the fix too.

If it is turbo related, I'll wager it happens on a bit of a hill.

I don't have a suziki but: You may find limp mode is computer initiated after 8 seconds of turbo delivery not matching turbo demanded (short version). Short fix for that is to take your foot off the pedal at 7 seconds of power demand then go for another seven seconds on a long hill if needed.

That's the story with my Galaxy diesel anyway. I then make a point of being the front car whenever possible which keeps the turbo variable vanes clean. Dunno if your car has variable vanes but you will learn a lot about your car if you join a Suzuki forum and search there for your fault codes.

If you drive a turbo diesel that has a variable vane turbo like a pensioner, you're likely to encounter problems with the vanes sticking. Try the following at a quiet time to see if it helps. Take the car onto the motorway and keep it in 4th gear. Keep it steady at 40mph for a couple of hundred yards, then put your foot to the floor taking the car up to 70mph. Repeat this around 10 times to exercise the turbo vanes and possibly unstick them, then when you're done keep the car in 4th at 70 for 15-20 mins (worth noting that the higher the speed = the higher the revs = more likely to decoke turbo vanes and egr). This is known as an Italian tune up, and is the method that I often use.

Edited by Cannon

Well I just wanted to give a further update to the vitara.

Got the car back Monday night and drove it home went fine no problems. Went to work in it Tuesday morning less than a mile from home power went again, turned around and limped home. Rang main dealer they sent recovery truck and replacement car. While I was waiting for truck to show up I went out to car to see if it was still down on power, started no problem and drove like there was nothing wrong with it. It went back to garage at any rate.

I collected car this evening, was assured that it was now 100% fixed, they had replaced a split pipe to EGR valve.

Drove off in car 10 miles down the road drop in owner again, same as last time. Pulled in to service station rang main dealer, cup of coffee later and started car nothing wrong with car driving perfect again. So it's now back with dealer again.

No lights on dash or anything, just drop in power switch off engine and go again in half hour and she drives perfect.

They've missed something. Mine did that when my vacuum pipe split. Fine at low revs but high revs created more pressure and the pipe leaked. Could be another cracked pipe. When mine was fixed I was told to keep an eye on the other ones as soon as one is perished the rest may follow.

You need to read the fault codes.

A `sticking EGR valve` suggests it's really clogged up. Did they fully clean it all up for you? It's a messy job.

http://suzuki4u.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=19952

What's the mileage?

If you drive a turbo diesel that has a variable vane turbo like a pensioner, you're likely to encounter problems with the vanes sticking. Try the following at a quiet time to see if it helps. Take the car onto the motorway and keep it in 4th gear. Keep it steady at 40mph for a couple of hundred yards, then put your foot to the floor taking the car up to 70mph. Repeat this around 10 times to exercise the turbo vanes and possibly unstick them, then when you're done keep the car in 4th at 70 for 15-20 mins (worth noting that the higher the speed = the higher the revs = more likely to decoke turbo vanes and egr). This is known as an Italian tune up, and is the method that I often use.

You don't drive an early Volvo D5 by any chance do you? I've had a V70 from new since 2002 and this is the method I use.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by malmick

• 2 weeks later...

Its always nice to hear how an issue ends - how about an update please.

After being accused of driving like a pensioner I said whats the ****** point of asking advice here, however Its not my driving is causing the faults.

The saga has not ended yet I'm afraid Dave.

Have had a new ECU installed, collected the car last thursday, but by thursday night the engine management light was back on.

Phoned garage he told me to bring it to another suzuki dealership which is closer to me to read the fault. I had noticed that on occasions when starting it took a couple of turns before the engine coughed into life, there would then be a big cloud of smoke and away she would go, I explained all of this to the guy in the other dealership.

Brought the car to the new garage again this evening. They cleared the fault ran diagnostics, all pointing to a fault on DPF but DPF readings are fine for particulates or whatever tf it reads.

Mechanic reckons there is a problem with the DPF, he said to call back if the light comes back on because he doesn't want to go changing the DPF straight away, he said it may take a while to diagnose what is wrong with it.

Anyway 3 hrs after collecting car engine management light is back on, noticed on the way home that on a few occasions the engine lost power for a split second but didn't go into limp mode.

I'll ring the new garage tomorrow morning and give them an update, see where they want to take it from there.