2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara Turbo diesel gone

deeksofdoom

After being accused of driving like a pensioner I said whats the **** point of asking advice here, however Its not my driving is causing the faults.

The saga has not ended yet I'm afraid Dave.

Have had a new ECU installed, collected the car last thursday, but by thursday night the engine management light was back on.

Phoned garage he told me to bring it to another suzuki dealership which is closer to me to read the fault. I had noticed that on occasions when starting it took a couple of turns before the engine coughed into life, there would then be a big cloud of smoke and away she would go, I explained all of this to the guy in the other dealership.

Brought the car to the new garage again this evening. They cleared the fault ran diagnostics, all pointing to a fault on DPF but DPF readings are fine for particulates or whatever tf it reads.

Mechanic reckons there is a problem with the DPF, he said to call back if the light comes back on because he doesn't want to go changing the DPF straight away, he said it may take a while to diagnose what is wrong with it.

Anyway 3 hrs after collecting car engine management light is back on, noticed on the way home that on a few occasions the engine lost power for a split second but didn't go into limp mode.

I'll ring the new garage tomorrow morning and give them an update, see where they want to take it from there.

Fingers crossed for you.

What a nightmare....

Modern cars are a pain the ***, it's clearly a intermittent difficult to diagnose fault.

The only way they will cure it is by the process of elimination, startling with the cheapest component it could be and working up.

Sounds like it's well underway, good luck it'll be right soon.

What a nightmare....

Modern cars are a pain the ***, it's clearly a intermittent difficult to diagnose fault.

The only way they will cure it is by the process of elimination, startling with the cheapest component it could be and working up.

Sounds like it's well underway, good luck it'll be right soon.

I drove to work this morning, noticed a big drop in power and next thing it was in limp mode orange zig zag light on too, I drove a couple of miles as I was close to work pulled in and switched off for about 20 sec. Switched on engine again fault cleared and car going like a rocket.

Yer man in the dealership rang me then after that he was very apologetic about it, I said I understood and that I know all about how trouble shooting works.

They have come to the conclusion that there must be some kind of hairline crack in the DPF and the fault is only occouring after the car has been driven for a bit and the DPF heats up expands and the crack open up causing drop in pressure accross DPF and then it goes into Limp mode.

They are now putting in a new DPF, hope thats the end of it. Luckily its still under warranty. o glad I bought from a main dealer this time, Imagine if I had to pay for a new DPF before x-mas.

I've heard of a fault along similar lines, it's probably not the same but thought I'd post it anyway. The car drove fine for a while then after a similar amount of time it would lose power badly and go into limp mode \ cut out, then after waiting about 10 minutes it would be find again. Of all things it turned out to be caused by a blocked breather in the fuel filler cap! The fuel pump was basically pulling a vacuum in the tank which, after a while, would become strong enough to prevent the pump from drawing fuel causing fuel starvation. Like I said, probably not what's happening with your Vitara but there are similarities.

Nobody was accusing you of driving like a pensioner. It was a factual statement that I made. Driving a turbo diesel like Miss Daisy isn't good for the engine, turbo or exhaust system. If you haven't been driving the car slowly for short journeys then carbon build up issues are less likely. As for the garage fitting two new ECU's, it sounds to me like they haven't a clue what they're doing. ECU's are extremely reliable. Replacing them only masks the problem until the new ECU learns that something isn't right with the car. ECU's are also expensive. Having a garage replace two of them seems very unlikely. If the issue was with the DPF or the ECU, you're never going to know as they've replaced both. Proper diagnostics should have been done using an oscilloscope before replacing the ECU.

On top of that, if the issue WAS ECU related, what's to say they haven't installed another one that's destined to fail? Then the warranty runs out and all of a sudden you've a bill for £1000> Just trying to help you out lad. No hard feelings.

Well I got it back there earlier they drove it to my work 70 miles approx to drop it back no lights on the dash so far. I parked it switched off the engine and noticed a painful sound coming from somewhere else under the bonnet. I'll see how it drives over the next few days.....

I'ld love a landrover.

No real update on the croc of ****. It lost power alright the other day, spoke to the garage about it they will look after me if the problem persists. I just pulled over and restarted the engine and it was back to normal again.

My cousin who is a mechanic, served his time with Renault has a 2006 vitara and the vitara has a Renault engine, reckons it's the EGR valve. It pretty much the only other thing lift to change now.

Edited by deeksofdoom

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...