Lamping the night away

JohnGalway

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good ones John. Don't forget for 20 odd years or more getting anything bigger than a .22lr in N. Ireland was impossible so hundreds of foxes shot with the rimmies. Like you say its not the gun, its the gunner.

Memory tells me you have a Tikka T3. I was at the range last Saturday and a friend who has bough a new T3 varmint with top range target Leopold scope couldn't under 4" at 100mtrs :yes:

Hope it goes well for you M8 :good:

Evening folks,

This post may not be suitable for all. Contains information, no pictures, on brain damage to fox caused by .22lr bullet. As the saying goes, you have been warned!

Some may find the information below interesting, others may not, posting it for the former group :lol:

As I mentioned before in another thread I am in contact with a research student from the Zoology department of an Irish university. He's looking for 100 foxes to help in his research into Neosporosis a disease of cattle caused by a parasite which occurs in wild carnivores most notably foxes. So far he's collected 12 foxes, a poor result I had expected the number to be higher but I guess with the time of year a lot of people have stopped shooting fox for the time being.

Anyway, earlier today I texted him as I was interested in how much damage the little .22lr bullet had done to the fox's brain. One fox had 30% of the brain destroyed (I would guess that was the 55 yard shot), the other had 10% destroyed (again at a guess the 80 yard shot). He had expected them to be in worse condition as in his words both "brain cases" were shattered. He's going to ask for more information and opinions from other people at the university for me also. He thought that the foxes going down and not stirring after being shot was a result of them being completely knocked out then expiring from their injuries in that state. It was his opinion this was a very humane and quick way to go :good:

Good information John, nice to hear from someone who knows there stuff :good::wub:

hi John sorry to hear tikka is not well i have two of them 222.rem and 223.rem i had trouble with my 222 i know its a common question but have you checked the floating barrel all the way down to where it meets the recoil block in to the stock mine being synthetic thought to be pretty hard it had clearence on the barrel but not on were the block and barrel meets on one side so filed the stock so the clearence went all the way to the recoil block. which did the trick !

John

I have only read your first post and a very good read it was :D .......Your second picture showing the distribution of light from the lamp looks like it creates a hollow shadow .If it does and your happy then all well and good but if you fancy improving the beam then expperiment with seating depths of the bulb or change the bulb all together . :)

Whats up with the .223 .........(Sorry if you've answered this already :good: )