Frustrating When It Happens

pigeon controller

Picked up DB at 09.00 and we set out from the the city and soon bisected a strong flightline which we managed to follow for over five miles till it lead us to a cut maize field with about two hundred birds down and more joining all the time .Rang the farmer to get the oK but he said that he had an event on at the farm today could we give it a miss. He told us of some other cut maize which we looked at but it only had pheasants on it and we did not want to upset the paying customers so we moved on. After an hour of driving around the only birds we could find were on the barley stubble we shot on Monday and have hit five weekends in a row . Now these birds know all our set ups and we watched the birds flighting a wooded edge of the field so we set up on the edge of this field . We did not use our magnet just cradles and angels and stood in the high nettles and shot the birds as they passed down the flight line we only had approx ten decoy shots as they are decoy shy. It all finished at 15.30 and we picked up seventy seven pigeons and fifteen corvids . We were rained off on Friday so we only managed one day this week . When I got home the wife was putting out the pumpkin light for the hoards of Trick or Treater's so I Strung up ten corvids and hung them under the light on the garage as a warning. A Frustrating day that came good in the end.

100_2517_zpsrakumewt.jpg

I meant to mention in the post that when I took my gun out of its slip it was minus the bead, I looked in the slip and could not find it so I shot 36 pigeons and a couple of crows with out the bead. In a conversation with JDog last year I said that I do not use the bead when I shoot and this tends to prove it . It may seem daft but I look at the target bird and shoot where it will be. DB winds me up with sitters on the ground or in trees because if I line the bead up along the barrel I miss 50%.

In the PW massive are ther any other quirky shooters????????

I meant to mention in the post that when I took my gun out of its slip it was minus the bead, I looked in the slip and could not find it so I shot 36 pigeons and a couple of crows with out the bead. In a conversation with JDog last year I said that I do not use the bead when I shoot and this tends to prove it . It may seem daft but I look at the target bird and shoot where it will be. DB winds me up with sitters on the ground or in trees because if I line the bead up along the barrel I miss 50%.

In the PW massive are ther any other quirky shooters? ???? ???

I seem more then capable of hitting birds in flight but seem to miss the ones sat still in a tree. Not sure whether this is a quirk or just incompetence.

That why I try to hit prior to landing. Your theory re the wing feathers is a good idea.

Mike it's frustrating not to be able to hit sitters in a sitty tree, I try to hit them landing rather than sitting but I think you get it into your head that you are going to to miss and that then puts a doubt into your head.

Good advice. I tend to hit them with the second shot when they are flying out of the tree :)