Border terrier advise

michufc

Working Stock why ????

A dog will work as like anything the more you PUT into it,the more you will GET OUT OF IT.

Time and effort thats what you need to do,I have had terriers for over 30 years and this malarkey tale of working stock is a load of cods wallop.

I have trained and worked many a dog NOT from working stock,dont be fooled.

Show dogs try googling Tyson Border terrier he was on the countrymans weekly page regularly won lots of shows and was a good working terrier

Buying a pup from Working parents doesnt mean to say any pups from that particular breeder will perform any different from any other breeder all you will be buying is reputation of a particular bloodline.

Like I say You only get out of a dog what you are prepared to put into it.

Great dogs

this is as a pet so why working stock is beyond me, in my experience working equates to more stamina, more energy and more drive to work. Most of the things that make a house dog a pain in the backside.

My mums had borders for years and they are game little dogs, hers are great with kids fine in the house proper characters. In your situation a dog wouldbe easier but a bitch usually calmer[/quote.

They may have the ability to work but with all the genetic problems with dogs that are bred for how they look rather than their health, I would go with a working bred dog every time.

I know someone who had a show lab who used to work it and the poor thing couldn't walk after four years old because of a genetic problem with its hips its sire and dam had it turns out. I like to think a reputable person who has a working litter wouldnt choose to breed from a dud.

Yes it would be a pet but I would like it to be able to keep up with the spaniel when we take him out as a family

I've worked them for over 20yrs and you won't find a better terrier to keep.they ale nothing so hardly any vet bills they have a nose as good as or better than most spaniels and they adapt to any life style.you can even use them as shooting companion as they will do the hide work or ruff shooting the same mate.

Yes thanks for the advise they just seem to have the best of both worlds really and the wife seems to be for the border now my wife would like to get one for Christmas for the kids and before I get loads of jip about it it's because I will be having two weeks off work so I can be with it all day and can be there to give it all my attention I am just struggling to find any in the Midlands

Oh and what colour markings does grizzle mean as I see that a lot but I am unsure what this is

Thanks mike

Google 'Blue' grizzle and 'Red' grizzle. The sire of mine was almost entirely black (blue grizzle) as was my bitch, but it is no guarantee the pup will retain it's 'blue' as it grows into adulthood. The only blue remaining on mine is on the tips of her ears and the tip of her tail.

• 2 weeks later...