Earplug vs Ear Defenders - 'bone behind ear' argument

jbk

I'm looking to get myself sorted with some new and proper ear protection. I've always used standard cheapo plugs, due to stock/earmuff clash experience from trying ear defenders before and stupidly not having dedicated the time to research and buy a quality set of moulded plugs.

I now want to invest in a proper ear protection, I'd rather get myself sorted with some good moulded ear plugs but in my research i keep coming up against the 'plugs don't protect the bone behind the ear' argument.

So, I wanted to ask you knowledgable folks what your opinions were of this argument and whether anyone knows of any actual science for or against this 'bone behind the ear' argument?

If you are shooting outside, I wouldn't worry too much about it, if indoors, always been recommended to have plugs and defenders as sound wave produced is contained in small area.

If you are looking for cheap but custom ear plugs, have a look for mouldable ear plugs (usually a blue 2 part compound) on the well known auction site for about £8, take 5 min to make and fit and more comfortable than factory produced plugs.

Edited by Stonepark

I use full Peltor electronic ear defenders for the rifle range and shotgun (clays) and Auritech in ear plugs for rough shooting. Factory plugs but really soft and comfortable; the most comfy one's I've tried and you hardly know you're wearing them. Not too expensive either.

The one disadvantage with earmuffs is eye protection. The glasses can make wearing the muffs uncomfortable and some glasses frames push the earmuffs away from the head making them less effective due to the gap round the frame.

Not too sure it helps your question but be mindful of it if you intend wear eye protection.

I switched from earmuffs to moulded pugs when referees at registered shoots started enforcing the glasses rule.

I go with, and always recommend protecting the bone behind the ear.

Not a bad idea but I once asked an audiologist about this and he said it was nothing to worry about.

Nevertheless I wear electronic muffs because I do a fair bit of reffing and get exposed to about 10 times as many bangs as the average competition shooter.

In-ear protection is more comfortable, but I'm used to shooting with muffs on. Like a lot of his generation, my dad suffered with deafness thanks to wartime army service and I'll happily accept the small inconvenience of muffs to avoid the huge inconvenience and isolation that goes with hearing loss.

Interesting to hear everyone's thoughts on this, keep em coming too. Just ordered a set of MSA Sordin muffs. Blimey, not cheap, you'd think you could get bluetooth and radio in there too for that $! Anyway, I'll try them on and see how i feel putting gun to shoulder, definitely don't want scratched Purdey stocks! ;) I think i'd much rather a good pair of plugs though, would just be nice to get some clarity on this 'bone behind ear' thing. Should anyone happen to meet an audiologist down the pub, as you do, ask them the question for all of our benefits! Cheers for now.

Edited by jbk

Well I have always used ear defenders or muffs and they are ok but my ears always got hot and uncomfortable. I then purchased a pair of CENS PASSIVE which are the CENS ear plugs but without the digital bit but baffles. They are so comfortable you forget they are in and still great for noise suppression without totally blocking background conversation. True at a clay shoot I am not always aware of what is being said so I am saving up for the Digital upgrade but for field shooting they are perfect.

CENS PASSIVE are about £120 inc postage and the moulding.

You can't be too careful with your hearing. I made the mistake of buying a couple of thousand cheap shells which went with a louder than usual bang. After that I have now got permanent ringing in the ears (tinnitus), despite wearing ear muffs.

I now wear plugs and earmuffs as to not make the tinnitus worse.

I did try some solid custom made plugs but found I could still hear conversation behind me. I rang the hearing expert at the custom plug manufacturers and they admitted that sound was also carried by the bones around the ears and that wearing muffs as well as plugs was the best protection.

If I want to hear a conversation in between shooting, I lift the muff on my best hearing ear to one side.

I've just got a pair of hocks sonic valve plugs and ACS plugs, hocks are a lot quieter and struggle with a conversation but keep out almost all the noise, great if your on your own but not so handy if your with mates. The ACS are brilliant for clay and game shooting, you can hear everything no problem and it takes enough of the bang away to work, only downside is they are a bit bigger. Both moulded in ear jobbies, will try and put pics on here later.

My advice is ACS. Think they are the Pro Impulse model.

I have a pair of Emtech moulded ear plugs which are now some 20 + years old and are still going strong. Until a couple of minor strokes caused a virtual total hearing loss, the Emtech's proved good for hearing conversations or shooters call of 'pull' when I was Reffing. I still use them for game shooting. I have bought a pair of Cens digitals but they have been a bit troublesome, the last 'service' costing £75 + I now also have a pair of Bilsom 'Howard Leights' which I use for all my shooting, they neither interfere with my shooting glasses or hit the gunstock and some 2 years old are still on the original batteries.

I've used ACS custom moulded plugs for a few years and they are great.

Only downside is that they are noisy when the wind blows across the valve, pain in the **** if you're reffing. Good thing with them is that ACS keeps a digital record of your moulds so that if you were to lose one you can just ring them up and reorder an exact mould.

Used to have Peltor SportTac's but got rid of them as they were hot at times and kept hitting them on the stock. Getting another set now tho for PSG, as exposed to more, constant and sometimes confined/amplified gunfire.

A full, properly carried out hearing test will include a test of your hearing using sounds applied to the bone behind the ear.

This tests the workings of the inner ear.

The audiologist presumably does this because it is considered to be an essential part of the test.

Vic.

Thanks to everyone for throwing their thoughts and opinions in, very helpful. A trip to audiologist soon to be booked and a few different types of cheapie plugs on order, one expensive set of muffs which i reckon I'll return and an order for a pair of Hocks or ACS soon to be placed! I'll let you know what I ultimately decided to go with.