Fly Tying

Stoves

Hi Stoves,

I've been tying for 18 months now - curious and addictive hobby that it is.

Oddly enough - this month's Trout and Salmon has a review of fly tying kits which should help you - would recommend at least a flick through at your newsagents!

Materials-wise:

Ultimately you need to figure out what sort of flies you'll be tying and try and find a kit which partially gets you there. Traditional wets require capes, nymphs require pheasant tails and body materials, salmon flies require special odds and **** etc.

I, myself, have probably spent in excess of £200 on capes, flosses, hooks, fancy materials, eyes etc etc over the past 18 months - it all depends on what you want to tie so let me know and I'll help where I can.

Tools-wise:

I get by on my Uncle Jacks No.2 kit which came with a vice, scissors, bobbin holder and dubbing needle but I would recommend getting a rotating vice (ask for an upgrade), a "whip finish" tool and a spare bobbin holder.

Don't faff about with hair stackers, tube fly attachments, dubbing tools etc and all the rest of it until you're sure its something you're "in to".

PM or email me anytime and even visit one of the best fly fishing forums about and get some other opinions at http://flyforums.proboards20.com/

Good luck

Jono

See if there is any local fly tying classes on at your tech college. Start with a fly and buy the materials for that fly and go onto the next fly, start with easy flys like black and peacock spider, black pennel, pheasant tail nymph.

If you get a kit on e-bay even better.

:D Rats got at all my fly tying gear and I had to throw the lot out (they had ****** and **** all over it in my roofspace).

Try and get some help if you have never done it before there are a few basic principles/tricks that you will need to know from starting the fly off with the thread to doing a good whip finish.

Good luck :)