.177 FAC Springer ?

Danoi99

Hi all.

I've got a slot coming up for FAC Air. FEO said I could have 2 cals........... .177 & .22 is what I opted for,but I have this niggling feeling I should have gone .20 & .22, ..........or 2X .22 slots. (your thoughts?)

I was going to get a simple springer to start with (HW80 in .177 maybe)

Anyway, has anyone got any suggestions for FAC springer in .177? Using it for Magpie, pigeon, rabbit, crow & squirrel, so around the 18ft lb with medium weight pellets.

Next year will bring the 30ft lb BSA Super 10 in .22 (can't justify an Airwolf just yet)

Thanks for your input

Edited by Danoi99

You dont really get much benefit from .177 in FAC 22 is a better option the HW80 running around 18ft /lb would be a good choice but even as a die hard spring gun fan they are never going to match a PCP , you will be surprised how cheaply you can pick a FAC PCP up for they are normally cheaper than their 12ft/lb twins , I would save the money you would spend on a spring gun and put it towards PCP

You dont really get much benefit from .177 in FAC 22 is a better option the HW80 running around 18ft /lb would be a good choice but even as a die hard spring gun fan they are never going to match a PCP , you will be surprised how cheaply you can pick a FAC PCP up for they are normally cheaper than their 12ft/lb twins , I would save the money you would spend on a spring gun and put it towards PCP

Just lusting for an old school fix mate. OK.......18ftlbs might be off the mark. But .177 is a great little pellet, so I'll get a PCP when I can afford the 40ftlb daystate jobby. The FAC springer is a back to basics kinda deal. Just with the power we always dreamed of when we were kids.

Holy moly, I think you are pushing your luck there. 50-55 yards would be about the maximum for mortal men. One hell of a holdover at 80 yards.

I push any sub 12 177 air rifle powered by spring to 50yds! Sounds like alot of folk should throw the bi pod away, stand up like a man and shoot a couple hundred pellets at tins, leaves or pebbles on a good walk! Works for me bud. Edited by Underdog

I don't doubt your shooting prowess, you're certainly a better shot than me, but the holdover for a sub 12 at 50 yards is a couple of inches whereas a 18 ftlb rifle zeroed at 50 yards is around 8 inches. That's way outside my comfort zone.

Edited by FalconFN

I don't doubt your shooting prowess, you're certainly a better shot than me, but the holdover for a sub 12 at 50 yards is a couple of inches whereas a 18 ftlb rifle zeroed at 50 yards is around 8 inches. That's way outside my comfort zone.

Lost me there bud and by the way I am an average shot, certainly no where near as good as twenty years ago :-(

Hi all.

I've got a slot coming up for FAC Air. FEO said I could have 2 cals........... .177 & .22 is what I opted for,but I have this niggling feeling I should have gone .20 & .22, ..........or 2X .22 slots. (your thoughts?)

I was going to get a simple springer to start with (HW80 in .177 maybe)

Anyway, has anyone got any suggestions for FAC springer in .177? Using it for Magpie, pigeon, rabbit, crow & squirrel, so around the 18ft lb with medium weight pellets.

Next year will bring the 30ft lb BSA Super 10 in .22 (can't justify an Airwolf just yet)

Thanks for your input

As many have said it's largely a waste of a slot getting a .177 at FAC levels. I actually happen to own two I keep abroad :yes: HW90 in .22 bought new was reading 22 ft lbs and utterly unshootable, wouldn't keep anything inside an A4 sheet of paper, knocked some air out and lowered it to 16.5 with AA Fields and it is my favourite off-hand rifle of all time, usable power and accurate.

Also bought a new HW80 in .177 which is reading 1000-1002 fps :| and is unpleasant to shoot despite being fairly accurate. I keep meaning to give it a decent kit of some sort but always seem to reach for the .22 HW90 as it is easier to shoot and knocks Mgpies off better at 50 yards plus, once killed two at 65-70 yards off hand one after the other.

In other words don't do it, if you must have a .177 in FAC at least get a pneumatic.

I can't find a FAC Rifle that's cheaper than its 12ft/lbs counterparts! Because they are rare, they seem to command a premium.

Doh!

I was gonna buy a FAC huntsman classic for £270 at the midland,,where can I get a sub 12 for that price because if I could I,ll have ten :lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

If it were me i would get just the one and it would be PCP in 22 and around the 30ft/lb mark, it then becomes worth it, much less and i personally see little benefit, and absolutely no benefit in 177 flavor. "" cal you have loads more choice of pellet than 20 so I would not go with the 20, plus your getting close to the same problems you will get with pushing the .177's with FAC air, you cant go too close to 1125 fps (roughly ) and that's mainly the problem with the 177.

Then your other slot for FAC air could be used for a 22lr without the expense of another variation.

Bloomin heck. I'm starting to think about giving the FEO a quick call Monday morning and changing it to 2 X .22. I think my rose tinted speck have gotten **** on them now after reading this lot.

There's a lot of experienced dudes on this here forum, I do appreciate the helpful advice. The springer thing is really to do with money at the moment. I've always loved .177 rifles and that may have clouded judgement.

One thing, Dougy #20 says I can use one of my FAC .22 slost for a .22LR without the expense of a variation. Is that true?? What's the crack with that?

Bloomin heck. I'm starting to think about giving the FEO a quick call Monday morning and changing it to 2 X .22. I think my rose tinted speck have gotten **** on them now after reading this lot.

There's a lot of experienced dudes on this here forum, I do appreciate the helpful advice. The springer thing is really to do with money at the moment. I've always loved .177 rifles and that may have clouded judgement.

One thing, Dougy #20 says I can use one of my FAC .22 slost for a .22LR without the expense of a variation. Is that true?? What's the crack with that?

You can use any granted FAC slot for a 1-4-1 at no cost.

For example, you can swop a .22LR FAC Moderator slot, for a .308 Rifle, but it doesn't follow you will always be granted your chosen rifle!

Edited by Dekers