Amazing things you have saw while in the field

ollie

We were on our pheasant shoot for the first time this season at the weekend. Was a very warm clear day & the shooting wasn't great as the dogs were knackered.

Our shoot runs along the coast & the scenery is amazing. All of a sudden we look out into the sea and there is a massive pod of porpoises making their way up along the coast. They were breaking the water at regular intervals and they were spread out over a big area, some of them were beside the shore, some of them were at least 100 yards out. I can't imagine how many there was but I'm sure there was 100+.

I was wearing my headcam and hopefully i captured some of the footage, but I may have been too far away. I'm going to start editing the footage tonight, so we will see.

What special unique things have you saw in the field?

I have had numerous buzzards and a peregrine hit my pigeon decoys in the past, last year I shot a fallow doe, I stuffed the grallock down a hole in the rocks and covered it with debris, the ground is steep and rocky and on stopping for a rest I looked back down the hill to see a very healthy dog fox pulling the grallock out, but my number one was when I was in the hide with the decoys out on the stubble, the farmers teenage son came along the headland without seeing me but spotted the deeks, he found a stone and crawled to within throwing distance of the decoys, I made myself visible to him to his surprise and embarrassment.

I had a barn owl hover about 4ft above my head when I was trying to squeak In a fox. It hovered for a few seconds and then circled around and landed on a gatepost about 15yrds away. I never fired a shot that night, but it was the best night lamping I'd ever had!

Yeah I have had quite a few owl encounters while lamping. It is wonderful how quiet they are, you can't hear their wings and the next thing they are a few feet from you.

I have had numerous buzzards and a peregrine hit my pigeon decoys in the past, last year I shot a fallow doe, I stuffed the grallock down a hole in the rocks and covered it with debris, the ground is steep and rocky and on stopping for a rest I looked back down the hill to see a very healthy dog fox pulling the grallock out, but my number one was when I was in the hide with the decoys out on the stubble, the farmers teenage son came along the headland without seeing me but spotted the deeks, he found a stone and crawled to within throwing distance of the decoys, I made myself visible to him to his surprise and embarrassment.

On one of my videos I shot a feral pigeon & just as it dropped a peregrine swooped in and stole it, that was brilliant to see.

Did you shoot the fox that took the gralloch?

Don't know about things I've seen but someone mentioned I'd put trail cams up on one shoot. The owner of said shoot (stables / paddocks) asked if I had and I told her no, wouldn't do that without asking as it's a very busy place with kids about. She (youngish, blonde and nice shape) said "Oh good, because I done some disgusting things in the woods" :w00t:

What have I missed :cry1:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't know about things I've seen but someone mentioned I'd put trail cams up on one shoot. The owner of said shoot (stables / paddocks) asked if I had and I told her no, wouldn't do that without asking as it's a very busy place with kids about. She (youngish, blonde and nice shape) said "Oh good, because I done some disgusting things in the woods" :w00t:

What have I missed :cry1:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol::lol: I think someone was hinting for you to video her :rolleyes:

Yeah I have had quite a few owl encounters while lamping. It is wonderful how quiet they are, you can't hear their wings and the next thing they are a few feet from you.

On one of my videos I shot a feral pigeon & just as it dropped a peregrine swooped in and stole it, that was brilliant to see.

Did you shoot the fox that took the gralloch?

No the fox probably finished his meal and went and had a good sleep, the rifle was unloaded and shooting back down the hill wasn't the best idea, and regardless of that it was a Natural England reserve and they like their foxes alive.

I have seen a few owls whilst waiting for fowl to show, in fact Saturday morning I had a long eared owl try to land on the stone wall I was sheltering behind, he have been no more than a few feet away when he saw me. I think the most amazing or entertaining thing I saw was an otter trying to get hold of one of my mallard decoys, he tried his best but the decoy kept pushing away from him, he then left looking pretty disgruntled.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/324515-pheasant-shoot-7th-november-2015/

This is the video from Saturday.

No the fox probably finished his meal and went and had a good sleep, the rifle was unloaded and shooting back down the hill wasn't the best idea, and regardless of that it was a Natural England reserve and they like their foxes alive.

Fair enough, as much as foxes are distructive they are also a wonderful animal that I have massive respect for.

I have seen a few owls whilst waiting for fowl to show, in fact Saturday morning I had a long eared owl try to land on the stone wall I was sheltering behind, he have been no more than a few feet away when he saw me. I think the most amazing or entertaining thing I saw was an otter trying to get hold of one of my mallard decoys, he tried his best but the decoy kept pushing away from him, he then left looking pretty disgruntled.

Saw a few otters before, but that must have been entertaining to watch :lol:

I was set up on the foreshore after geese one morning when 2 roe deer came down and walked along the shore right in front of me no more than 10 feet away foraging in the seaweed. I sat still for what seamed an age before they moved further on. Great to see.

I hope you got some geese too. :good:

• 2 weeks later...

Had a heron land in my crow decoy pattern on sunday morning which came as a bit of a shock, buzzard knocked a magpie decoy off the gate post a couple of months back, also had a sparrow hawk knock one of pigeon decoys flying last year. Watched otters though my NV whilst out after foxes a couple of years ago. All good clean events unlike some of the other filth mentioned :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I have had a young badger come out of a hole at my feet and smell the end of my barrel when stalking rabbits as a teenager.

I have also seen a stoat chase down and kill a rabbit about 50 yards in front of me when a standing gun on a pheasant drive. I was a guest and this was on the front edge of the drive so dare not shoot forward, to far for a certain kill anyway as most of its body was hidden by the rabbit.

Have been buzzed by a barn owl when trying to call a fox, suspect thats not that unusual.

A

Went down to feed my pheasants a couple of days ago and my partner and baby came along for the fresh air. Saw a stoat running away from me, let it get about 40m away then squeaked, it turned around and dashed in to the range of all of two feet, the final half was across open ground. Amazing sight to see but neither of us dare move to get our phones to film it. When ran off I squeaked it back in for a second time but it stated about twenty foot away that time.

• 1 month later...