Checkley Wood Shoot 7th November 2015

DazzJo

Ok here it goes...

I haven't done much of a write up on the first two Sydicate days I've done at my local shoot Checkley Wood Farm, so I think I best fill you on the what goes on :D

Firstly the weather wasn't great, it was tipping it down fiercely throughout the night which carried on throughout into the late morning, as you'll notice in the clips. So I arrived at the Shoot at about 9:10am where Sylvia our trustee resident breakfast chef rapidly knocked me up a belting bacon and egg bap swiftly followed by a scorching brew. As the Shoot Captain went through the do's and donts we picked our pegs at random and were told to move up two pegs after each day. Before you know it, after catching up with great friends, it was time to ' All aboard the Skylark ' to chauffeur us around for the day.

After the first drive we all participated in a natter over 1-2 glasses of Sloe Gin and Champagne (it would be rude not to!)-we made our way to the second drive where the clouds began to break and the wind seemed to have eased off.

Two belting drives so far and everybody is good spirits so we headed back to the cabin for 'Elevenses' which consisted of Bullshot and locally made sausages- LUSH!

After that we headed to our third drive and the weather turned glorious, no wind, no rain. It was blue sky and shining sun and where we could have a variety of birds over us- pheasant, partridge, duck and pigeons so the ' funny bullets ' were equipped, ands it's a good job they were as there were plenty of ducks flying just out of our range but I managed to bag the only mallard of the day as it decided to make a detour, BIG mistake :lol: and also bagged a belter of a pigeon, which you will see in the clip so keep your eyes peeled, as well as a couple of pheasant and a couple of partridge. Once we had completed the third drive we broke for Baileys coffee and homemade cake where I took the opportunity to grab a few snaps and footage of guns and dogs whilst they meandered about.

Before we knew it the last drive of the day as we knew the total bag was getting near, and what a lovely drive it was, beaming sun, hardly no wind and plenty of snap shooting, unfortunately I was on a end peg with the bright sun in my eyes on this drive but still saw plenty of screaming partridge steaming over the neighbouring gun, and witnessed a gun shoot 2 left and right pigeons, which was a pleasure to witness.

So we headed back to the cabin for our supper, on the 'Skylark' whilst chatting about the shots we have done, the birds we have shot and the food we have ate, to go and eat more food which consisted of little appetisers to start, roast chicken, leek and potato pie with autumn vegetables, then pecan pie with custard/cream, then a selection of cheeses and crackers, then tea and coffee, not to mention the different selections on beers, wine, spirits and soft drinks during our meal.

AND to top it off I won the 'Sweep of the Day' where we times the bag by the species, so a superb day all round, with half of the sweep money going to a local charity which the local school run. I hope you all enjoy the video and please Like and Subscribe... Roll on 21st November for the next shoot day :good:

Total Bag:

47 Pheasant

74 Regleg Partridge

1 Greys Partridge

7 Woodpigeon

1 Mallard

ATB

DazzJo

Edited by DazzJo

Was it Ivor

No it wasn't Ivor lol

Good video. Like some of your camera angles especially the dog picking the partridge.

Strange that they are picking up dead birds during the drive but as you say you are not there to tell them what to do!

Thanks cloud walker

Yes I know it did but it didn't bother me, never does, no dog is 100% perfect I know because my is utterly useless at retrieving...nobody is 100% perfect, but I didn't put this vid on for people to moan about a dog fetching a dead in front of me. Thank you to those with nice comments :good:

Edited by DazzJo