Log fire virgin

Cosd

Having lived in my new house almost 2 months, I decided to have a go at lighting the log fire. The chimney was stuffed up with newspaper so thought I'd pull that out and check to see the chimney had a decent draw. I've never used a real fire before but I've had gas so I know a little about a chimney and draw. Pulling the Newspapers out they were dated 2012, so guessing that the fireplace stopped being used when the old girls husband (previous owners) had passed away.

Pulling the newspapers out I did find three perfectly preserved crows in there which was a bit of a shock!! There's nowhere for them to nest on the chimney as it's just a tube poking out the top, so how did these find their way in there?

After watching a youtube video on lighting the fire I drove down to Crewes Hill and picked up 6 bags of kiln dried Ash logs and some kindle. The fire lights well and the chimney is all working as it should, I love the look as well as the smell of the real wood burning.

My question to the seasoned real fire guys here is what wood is the best to buy? I'm finding that the logs I have are lasting less than an hour!! is this about right? What's the best way to keep it going if you want it lit for a few hours in the evening? I am tending to start off with two logs then having to add another in around half hour each time. Also, sometimes the logs don't burn all the way through and go out, do i need to be poking and moving them about constantly or is there a method?

Since we haven't done the house up yet, it's a good time for us to see if we want to keep a real fire, move back to gas or go to a wood burner.......

Edited by Cosd

You're doing ok to get that much burn time on an open fire with logs. You'll go through them much quicker than if you were using a log burner.

I use wood in our log burner and usually only coal in the open fire, as it burns for much longer. If you're determined to use logs though, you'll be far better off costwise buying a bulk load of a ton or more than using bags. Look for well seasoned hardwood, or a mix of seasoned hard and softwood. If you are going to use softwood, get a fire screen as it may spit.

You will find that if it is a big grate you need to prod a bit to keep the logs close together as they burn. As long as they are kept touching they should burn through, then you just need to add more once they are starting to collapse. If you can get a good bed of embers and maintain it then it should be easy enough to keep going.

If its an open fire about an hour sounds right as you have no real way of controlling how quickly it burns, unlike a wood burner where you can control the air flow.

Forget about buying the wood in nets, this is expensive way of doing it a lot better off finding a local tree surgeon or similar they often do logs as a side earner and get a whole trailer load delivered. When we had a fire i wasnt really fussy what went on as long as it was dry it burnt.

Also I would normally start with a coal fire to get a good base then keep putting logs on top when required.

Edited by ferguson_tom

If its an open fire about an hour sounds right as you have no real way of controlling how quickly it burns, unlike a wood burner where you can control the air flow.

Forget about buying the wood in nets, this is expensive way of doing it a lot better off finding a local tree surgeon or similar they often do logs as a side earner and get a whole trailer load delivered. When we had a fire i wasnt really fussy what went on as long as it was dry it burnt.

I'm about to get a big Ash tree cut down completely, but storing the wood for a year or so will be an issue I think....

It's a science of humidity, draw, positioning, luck and magic.

Now I've cleared that up.

When your not using in the summer block the chimney with paper to clear drafts, (and open if you need to clear the air)

Zapp has said it really.

Once burning three logs burn better than two as you can position to cause an internal chimney caused.

Might be a good idea to have your chimney swept as the damp may pull debris and rubbish out which when drying out as you have better and better fires may make a rude appearance in your front room!!

John.

You can get a contraption to turn old paper into blocks! But only put ONE on as they tend to smother the fire! I made one using paraffin instead of water and it seemed to burn better than the water made ones! Also! Don't compress it too much! A light crush as if you really squeeze out all the water it is too dense to burn well! Also add wood shavings or sawdust if you can!

You can burn Ash without seasoning it, but drying for a couple of weeks never hurts.

+1 Take the grate out and start the fire with softwood (behind a good sparkproof fireguard if you value your carpet) then add the logs. With no draught underneath, they will burn slower.

Edited by rjimmer

I'm the same as you mate, I moved into a house 1 month ago with a open fire and I love it! It's natures telly! I had my swept out first as no sure when other owner had it done and for insurance purposes too. I've found logs tend to struggle a bit, I first put kindling on / small thin bits then a few bigger ones as it gets going. After a bit of poking and turning over they burn better but still don't completely burn through. They also spit and crack a lot so best to buy a spark guard especially when you want to go to bed. I use coal more and that's great it stays hotter for ages and you can get it roaring, I sometimes throw a few logs on when it dies down and they burn a lot better. My mum has a log burner and like zapp says it munches would like no tomorrow in comparison. I prefer the open fire better but that's just me! Logs look good when people are visiting but I think coal is better for warmth. Get a carbon monoxide tester too just to be on the safe side, as for wood I chuck anything on I can get my hands on just make sure it's dried out😀

Burn the ash green. Your tree surgeon will thank you for not having to lug it around but do ask them to cut the cord wood to a size you want. Then split after a few weeks and store in a place that is covered from rain but open to the air.

Wood fires work best in a box with no draw from the bottom and plenty of ashes in the bottom. Don't bother clearing out the old ashes too frequently.

Ultimately if you want to use your fire often you'll need a supply of timber and somewhere to store it. A couple of old pallets as a base and an open frame with a roof. There are bound to people local to you who'll drop a transit load of half decent timber on your drive for under a £100. Or you can get very good seasoned or kiln dried from CPL Distrubution much cheaper than the garage or garden centre.

I like open fires but I would never entertain the idea of having one.

Woodburners are the answer without a doubt.

Problem with open fires is that most of the heat from the fire goes straight up the chimney and they cause loads of draughts which drag the cold air into the room.

Get a carbon monoxide alarm.

just changed from an open hearth to 10kw log burner.you could stand 6 feet off the open fire and feel no heat as about 80% goes up the chimney . the log burner gives off so much more heat and due to the closed chimney the heats fills the room and beyond.

much better than the old hearth.

f.

just changed from an open hearth to 10kw log burner.you could stand 6 feet off the open fire and feel no heat as about 80% goes up the chimney . the log burner gives off so much more heat and due to the closed chimney the heats fills the room and beyond.

much better than the old hearth.

f.

Totally agree. There is also the problem of an almost continuous draft with an open chimney. Multi fuel burner is a good option. Takes just a few minutes to convert it from a pure wood burner to coal although we use it just with the coal bits and burn whatever we can in it. Personally I find that if I have to buy the fuel then coal is a much better option.