Hi

I run a small shoot (badly) - 1,500 birds and we need to have a couple of let days to help towards the bills / beaters etc.

When advertising these days, or discussing the price with potential Guns, should the cost include tips - for example 'Cost per Gun is £150 plus tips'?

The reason I ask is that when we had a couple let days last year, no-one paid a tip, even though they enjoyed the day (and have booked again this season).

Whenever I have been on a driven day, whether invited, or a let day, I have always given a tip which I thought was 'the done thing' or am I living in the past?

Thanks

I have not done driven for a long time, but I think the thing to do would be to explain the price is x plus tip for the beaters and then confirm what the expected tip is.

When I did driven it was on that very basis cost per gun is x plus £20 tip for beaters.

That way the guns know what the total cost is and what is expected of them, if they are not asked to provide a tip at the end of the day I can understand why they did not as they may have easily assumed beaters costs were being taken care of in the overall price.

blimey,costing is usually £x per bird to quote to guns.Tipping on driven is then ALWAYS in addition.......do you have your keeper line up at the end and hand over a brace..or even better pre-prepped birds in trays?If so it is the clear signal that this is the end of the day,shake keepers hand and slip him a few quid....minimum £20 for small day then more if bag goes above 75 birds........If you however advertise your shoot as a walkabout/walk up and £150 per gun then that is somewhat different??...If it is all driven then tipping is to be expected to cover keeper & beaters usually.When we have guest guns we make the host give their guest the heads up that the going rate is £30 for 1st 100 birds and bit more if they loved their day/bag gets above 150......typical tip is £40=£50 for a great day.........but this is fully driven/gun bus/snacks/full sit down cooked lunch and tea at end...............

What size bag are you selling?Hiow have you arrived at £150 oer gun?is it driven?do you provide anything else...food/drink wise?

As it is returning guns you have a bit of a problem as they will expect similar to last time,are you dooing anything differnet/do you have more beaters this year etc.........

blunt way if you know shoot captain is tell him now,subtle way is present the bag at days end and have guns line up for their brace......all guns know what this means!!

• 1 month later...