2 and half inch high velocity

dob

I recently bought an old Charles Boswell ,Damascus barrel that's got 2 and half inch chambers and has been reproofed for nitro. I have had it dated back to 1869 and am looking for shells that are 2and half inch but are high velocity as I am used to shooting high v but don't want to damage the gun. Can u lot suggest any perticular shells that would suit an older gun.

Guest cookoff013

Forget high velocity mumbo jumbo and be prepared for a reality check :-)

Sadly Mr dog, I totally agree 100%.

Did you know that the speed printed on box is a guess, and derived from a test barrel, not a sported.

+1

Speed is operated. Just shoot big shot

Surprises me the heavy loads people use to shoot game nowadays ! Extreme birds may need them but most people don`t shoot extreme stuff do they?

My thoughts exactly. There are a few shoots (such as the Devon valleys) where there are genuinely mostly 40 yard plus birds. These need a very good shot to bring down cleanly - and most probably a heavy load in a tight choke . There is no doubt that there are some exceptional shots who can do this cleanly and consistently but they are not 'your average shot'.

For the vast majority of us for who 'high' birds are 30 - 35 yards, a few 40 yards, and many shots probably less than 30 yards, 1 ounce in a modest choke is just fine. It's putting the pattern in the right place that is needed - and too often cartridges, loads, chokes, forcing cones and goodness knows what else gets blamed for poor shooting.

One of the best shots I have ever watched used a 1 ounce load in 28" light s/s guns from the 1920s. He could consistently and cleanly kill all birds on any 'normal' shoot day with few misses. Very occasionally, he'd take a very long shot - perhaps at a pricked bird behind a neighbour - and that was often killed as well. There is a skill in these long shots that is in the man, not the cartridge. If you have that skill, you are extremely fortunate - and you may also benefit from the cartridge. Most of us will only get a sore shoulder!