the subject of 'Tipping' the Gamekeeper on a Driven Shoot

chipper

I guess because your "host", being a very hospitable chap, tipped the keeper on behalf of his guests...........which is what I do.

Not in heard of either I've also been 'invited' on a day and the host 'reminded' us at lunch that the keepers tip should be £200, I didn't return as I didn't expect an invite to supliment the guys keepers pay cheque.

Wot size of day was that? That is a very big tip, unless u were pre warned (well in advance for me) i would imagine most would not have 200 quid cash in their pocket.

But at the same time i suppose its still a cheap days shooting (assuming more than an 80ish bird day) if u were to look at it another way. But i think wording it the wayhe has does seem strange

Wot size of day was that? That is a very big tip, unless u were pre warned (well in advance for me) i would imagine most would not have 200 quid cash in their pocket.

But at the same time i suppose its still a cheap days shooting (assuming more than an 80ish bird day) if u were to look at it another way. But i think wording it the wayhe has does seem strange

Around 300-350 bird day that was the issue I had of not just having £200 in my pocket!

I was on my first `formal ` shoot yesterday it was meant to be a 100 bird day for 8 guns. We all agreed before the shoot that £30 each would be the tip. Unfortunately we did not make the bag and on 1 drive here was not even 1 bird shot but we still hard a great day out and we all agreed that we could all have shoot better. At the end of the day the keeper came through and apologised that we did not make the bag but we told him it was not his fault and still gave him his envelope.

I am going on a small walked up day at the end of December (60 birds between 6), so you guys would suggest £20 per person tip? I've never really bought a day shooting, so I have no idea.

Might need to put my tin hat on, but I'd be unsure of whether a tip was required if your rough shooting on someones land on your own. Is the keeper accompanying you, guiding you, flushing the birds or picking them up? If so then I would say a the £20 minimum is right.

There is a large commercial shoot near us run by a large estate before the days shooting sends a letter out covering health and safety and risks assessments to all guns on the bottom of the letter it states on 300 bird days a minimum of £60 tip and for 500 bird day a £100 tip should be given to the head keeper.I have worked it out with the amount of days shooting and birds shot this keeper ends the season with £100K In is back pocket not a bad little perk.

Generally I decide the tip but on one occasion on a 200 bird day with friends of some years standing the guy organising the day (also shooting) asked for £30 tip which he was collecting. I paid up and it didn't seem excessive for a very nice day but reflecting on the whole thing I don't think there was a keeper and it was all put on by the farmer who - you have probably guessed it - was buddy to my friend! A nice little £250 in a poor old farmers back pocket!

Generally I decide the tip but on one occasion on a 200 bird day with friends of some years standing the guy organising the day (also shooting) asked for £30 tip which he was collecting. I paid up and it didn't seem excessive for a very nice day but reflecting on the whole thing I don't think there was a keeper and it was all put on by the farmer who - you have probably guessed it - was buddy to my friend! A nice little £250 in a poor old farmers back pocket!

Not sure wot the problem is? U have had a nice day why does it matter he is not a FT keeper?

U do not put on a good 200 bird day by just turning up on the day and seeing wot's there. To shoot that he must have released a decent ammount of birds and feed and looked after them, so he has done all the work u'd expect of a keeper as well as running his farm.

Having been on a shoot where we met the 'Keeper' on the hotel car park and straight off he was muuttering about hating these 'small' days (125). They normally shoot 250 bird days, I felt that even £20 was too much. After lunch he counted we had 80 down and asked if we really wanted to do 'another drive'. We insisted and to say he was NOT happy would be an understatement. His reasoning........................."it costs the same amount of money to put on a 125 bird day as to shoot a 250+ bird day" his words, not mine. Funnily enough we have never been back. Another thing that I try to ensure that I do at the end of play, is to personally thank each beater, after all it would be a bloody long day without them !

I would have turned around and said if there it costs the same and is the same amount of work then we will go to 250 birds if it still cost the same

Might need to put my tin hat on, but I'd be unsure of whether a tip was required if your rough shooting on someones land on your own. Is the keeper accompanying you, guiding you, flushing the birds or picking them up? If so then I would say a the £20 minimum is right.

It is an organised day, 6 of us in total and I would imagine the keeper will be accommpanying us. We are taking our own dogs as it is walked up, so we'll be flushing our own birds. Thanks for the advice.