Landie 90 - Desired model + Gun fit in rear?

jbk

Hey all,

I'm embarking on my first journey into land rover ownership, very excited but at the same time trying to remain cool enough to make a good buying decision. Two questions rolled into one post, if it gets confusing i'll split into two.

1) I presume a gun slip with a 32" barrelled & 15" stocked gun happily fits the length of the floor of the rear cab?

2) I'm thinking hard top county 90. I don't think i need any larger or extra seats, i see that the county is a little more desirable, I don't want anyone peering in through back windows to see gun slips, I would like to occasionally be able to pull 100mile trips to shooting destinations in not too much pain. My budget is £7.5k-£10k max, can anyone provide any advice on most desirable model, specification etc for this kind of money?

Thanks

Edited by jbk

Ha ha!!

Yeah I see that, can be a bit of a pitfall with mechanical and corrosion issues I see, plus some hefty punty figures out there with folks trading off the 'land rover stops manufacture of defender' thing!

I should be able to source some help to get a decent mechanical and condition appraisal of a motor, I'm more looking for some help and advice as to what would be a sensible buy at that budget in terms of year, model and spec and any help re fair values would be great.

I'm a lover of Land Rovers but have to make the following observations based upon experience.

From memory only, a 32" gun does not fit straight in the back of a 90".

They are not (very) secure. I used to secure my gun with a thick chain fitted to a strong part of the vehicle.

There is still a back window in the door to peer through, cover with old blankets, etc..

100 mile journeys? No problems, in more modern Defenders you can i) get there and back on one tank full and ii) even hear the radio! :lol:

Good luck with your search, once found, ENJOY! :good:

Thanks for all the advice folks, sounds like this is going to be an interesting motoring experience!! First viewing tomorrow :)

300tdi rather than td5 seems to come up a bit, why is this the case, what;s wrong with td5 in comparison to 300tdi?

I also heard that the 'Puma' ford engine is a no no due to electrics, any merit to this?

Both engines are very good. Personally I prefer the td5, it has no cambelt to worry about and is more tunable.

Bear in mind the need for a timing belt change on a 300 tdi 70000miles or so, if you view one and if you look at a td5, try to make sure it's been looked after, ie regular oil changes etc.

Good luck.

Finding a good, unmolested 300tdi is very hard. I looked everyday for over 7 months before I shelled out 7k for mine and had to drive it back from the other end of the country (then I went and had everything you could do to tune the performance done properly). Whilst the newest TD5's are very quiet and more fully featured, they all leak water into a puddle by your feet and are draughty, although the noise issue can be dealt with (mine's pretty quiet).

Will a shotgun fit? Yes, at an angle, security is always a concern as the locks will yield to a heavy handed screwdriver, just take the useful bits away with you if you're leaving the vehicle unattended - or fit a safe or locking point. Rifles are a different beast and in my county I used to slot one either side behind the rear seats, I don't think that's possible with newer models. But, they're infinitely adaptable so nothing to stop you fashioning something to suit.

Hmm, great spot Dannyboy, I'll look into them.

On a separate note i just watched a 5th gear review on the defender, quoting Vicki Butler-Henderson; 'the land rover is largely rust proof'!! ha ha!

Only if you spend another £400-500 having it dinitrolled or other good rust proofing treatment. Or DIY it yourself with a rust proofing kit a lot cheaper. Well worth doing.

Mines a 300tdi. I like it because the engine management system is holding the steering wheel

Edited by loriusgarrulus

I'm a lover of Land Rovers but have to make the following observations based upon experience.

From memory only, a 32" gun does not fit straight in the back of a 90".

They are not (very) secure. I used to secure my gun with a thick chain fitted to a strong part of the vehicle.

There is still a back window in the door to peer through, cover with old blankets, etc..

100 mile journeys? No problems, in more modern Defenders you can i) get there and back on one tank full and ii) even hear the radio! :lol:

Good luck with your search, once found, ENJOY! :good:

Correct sir! I have an N reg 90 and in its slip, my 30" has to go slightly diagonally between the wheel boxes.

One adaption I have seen is another floor fitted across between the raised sides in the back of the Defender. Coverered with rubber checkerplate so non slip for the dogs. A gun drawer was then ftted underneath this which wasn't obvious until the back tailgate was down.

I did the same but with a very thick sheet of ply, works a treat :)

Only if you spend another £400-500 having it dinitrolled or other good rust proofing treatment. Or DIY it yourself with a rust proofing kit a lot cheaper. Well worth doing.

Mines a 300tdi. I like it because the engine management system is holding the steering wheel

TD5s have a reputation for pulling oil into the ECU via capillary action. I'm with you on the 300tdi, best all round bus.

1986 ex military, straight blown, 2500cc, 90. No rust and goes like a bomb.

Just be carefull what you buy and then service the beast regularly.

You can fit anything you want for security. Easy to work on.

Can keep up with most HGV's too...

Apparently grandalf was 25 when he set of for this years pw rifle shoot in his. Lol