Old stubbles

Dr D

I have been watching old stubbles for the last day or so. Decided to give it a bash today. I set up at 11 and nothing much moved for the first hour. About 12 they started shifting but wouldn't commit to the decoys. A quick change of tactic to get more movement into the pattern seen me setting up the magnet for the first time this year. It worked a great. I shot till 2.45 and picked up 84.

The back end of storm Barney caused a few torrential downpours, but the birds moved well in between. I brought the birds home for a photo to keep them dry.

post-2557-0-80860500-1447879806_thumb.jpg

Good lad, very good bag at this time of the year. I don't know how you get the birds in Northern Ireland at this time of the year, I struggle to see any numbers after the end of September.

It's no secret Ollie. I just know my ground and the flight lines. I regularly see others in the same areas. But they are in the wrong place and the wrong times. Over the years I have spent as much time watching as I have shooting. Sad. I know. But there is the answer. I also don't go out expecting big bags. As you say, we don't have the numbers other places have. But patience sometimes pays off.