What Red with Roast Venison

greenshank1

No worries. Just had a look on my wine racks and stumbled across a bottle of wine called chocolate block. Last year it was my favourite wine and I bought a case or two if I remember correctly, and I think that will work wonders with roast venison.

It has underlying chocolatey notes and honestly is a great wine. Think waitrose still stock it, but failing that have a look in majestic wines. It's a bit of a pain to get hold of as its only made in limited quantities but majestic should be able to order it in for you at around £20-£25 I think

As James said a good Barolo would be excellent with that meal, but Barolo's can be hit and miss so you need to buy well. Likewise a Barbaresco would work very well too. Both are made with the Nebbiolo grape. Both of these tend towards a pricier bottle of wine.

An Italian alternative would be a sangiovese, so you could go for a classic Chianti or something that would work especially well with the pepper and star anise would be a Brunello di Montalcino or a Nobile di Montepulciano.

For real indulgence an excellent Amarone will also work.

I really like Italian reds so biased towards those and I would probably go for the Montepulciano.

As Tightchoke said a good Pinot Noir would also work really well, but go new world with New Zealand having some really excellent Pinot Noir wines.

Edited by grrclark

With delicate/light venison like roe loin and minimal sauce, then I could agree with the big pinot noir options. We drink a bunch of pinot as that is my wife's preferred red grape for just drinking. But, it needs to be a reasonably big, full bodied pinot. Napa or northern NZ would be good, SA pinot could be good (I don't know SA pinot as well). More typically I would pair deer with bigger, full bodied reds, depending on the sauce as mentioned above. For fruity/peppery based sauces like you've described, I tend to go complimentary flavors in the wine. Amarone (or little brother Valpolicella Ripassa) is a good call. Barolo is also nice. Bordeaux blends will do well here, especially the more merlot based chateaus to highlight the pepper and and herbal elements. A mid-weight shiraz would be good, though some shiraz could be horribly wrong so choose by the specific bottle rather than type. I would also put a big cabernet out there as an option (I like Napa again) as it has a lot of body and tanin to go with the meat and the right fruity flavors to pair with the sauce.

thanks,

rick

• 3 weeks later...