FX Rifles

Big Gnat

I've been into Airguns and hunting with Airguns for 40 years.

Had way to many to mention on here, but since getting my 1st FX rifle a couple of years ago and another two since I have to say what a great selection of rifles they have. You rarely see FX guns being sold on the forums which tells you people are keeping them.

They are a very innovative company always looking to improve on performance , bringing a variety and style to each addition to their range of about 12 rifles.

Which leads me to criticise my old favourites AA ,BSA, Theoben, Wuerauch, etc

Who have produced some great guns.

But have never really moved with the times

, the systems they adopted 20 yrs ago have never been improved much apart from a regulator being added or a cocking arm change.

All now look very dated and the forums are now full of these for sale.

What do you think?

I have been shooting Airguns for a similar period of time-I currently use the AA S410 that, apparently, has not "moved with the times". My S410 has never let me down in anyway shape or form in the approx. 3 years since I bought it, it shoots far more accurately than I could ever hope to match and kills as clean as anything on the market, sub 12ft/lb, as long as I do my bit. Instead of being behind the times I consider the fact that the design is well proven and reliable to be a massive advantage-so why would I change it for an FX? What earth shattering advances have FX made that would revolutionise my shooting? There are makers out there that seem to change the colour of their screw heads every year and proclaim the birth of a new model-the inevitable rush to buy ,by the fools that are, then fund the company for yet another years back patting session while the new gun owners puff out their chests and wander around feeling like they have witnessed the second coming of the Lord. The birth of the PCP has been the singular noteworthy advance in the Airgun world for many years-the myriad of tiny "advances" achieved by salesmen rather than engineers are simply trinkets to tempt those who find themselves easily parted from their money.ps you might consider checking your spelling of weihrauch

Edited by bruno22rf

Thing is when you have a product that is working well why change it?

The HW100 is basically the same gun, bar the quickfill, the BSA range is now basically the Ultra/Scorpion/Goldstar and the R10 (and we all remember the problems they had when they stopped the S10 and made the R10 or Rot10). However all indexing mechanisms have been removed as the magazine now indexes a la Theoben style.

Daystate are constantly evolving, look at the progression, Harper Valves, electonic triggers, bullpups, then look how many problems they have. The Huntsman Regal being a particular pile of pooh that has had buyers up and down the country moaning on forums and has meant that now they have an outsider brought in to up the game quality wise!

Hatsan have quietly introduced new rifles, the Galatian is a development of the BT 65 SB, which is a development of the AT44, but the guns work. The Breaker 900 is development of the Striker but they should have developed that more and fitted a Quattro trigger and taken the fight up to the HW99 and smacked it one!

Edited by secretagentmole

I myself have owned about eight or nine AA right back to the Jackal , also owned a Shamal an XM100 and the all the 410,s and know very well how good these are.

That said they're the same as they were 20 years ago. Look at the second hand guns for sale. That tells you what people are selling and not only that but they're going cheap as well.

As for innovation check out what FX are doing they've went global in a very short time. From the addition of the smooth twist barrel through to shooting arrows on the new Verminator. Yes I know that's not legal here but when you own an FX there's no going back to heavy shot limiing AA etc.

Each to their own though.

I myself have owned about eight or nine AA right back to the Jackal , also owned a Shamal an XM100 and the all the 410,s and know very well how good these are.

That said they're the same as they were 20 years ago. Look at the second hand guns for sale. That tells you what people are selling and not only that but they're going cheap as well.

As for innovation check out what FX are doing they've went global in a very short time. From the addition of the smooth twist barrel through to shooting arrows on the new Verminator. Yes I know that's not legal here but when you own an FX there's no going back to heavy shot limiing AA etc.

Whoa hold up, why are so many for sale? Because they have sold thousands that is why!

The smooth twist barrel has been found to be basically a blind alley, if it was that good everybody would have used it, they have not!

The only rifle that really had the smooth twist shoved behind it was the Metisse, which basically saw the end of Milbro!

Edited by secretagentmole

This is a bit of a self defeating post. It's basic economics, if tens of thousands of S410's are sold then it is natural that at some point there will be a lot on the second hand market. I dare say percentage wise there is no difference between the percentage of guns sold and and now for sale on the second hand market for either gun/brand. More guns sold, more will show up on the second hand market which drives prices down, less guns sold, less appear on the market but retain value....

Do you still get a pair of blinkers with the hw100 so you dont look at another gun ? Lol

Theres always going be that old bloke sitting in the corner saying my hw was the best gun ever, come on guys move with the times.

Everyone is entitled to believe what they want, if they find an air rifle that suits them and they can shoot well with it then its the best for them.

Unfortunately if there's one thing i've noticed with air gunners is that there is a lot that believe that the pricier the rifle and more "modern" or "revolutionary" it is the better it is. It all means nothing if you're a poor shot. As long as the rifle is properly engineered I'll take it.

Some folks are a bit "all the gear no idea"

Do you still get a pair of blinkers with the hw100 so you dont look at another gun ? Lol

Theres always going be that old bloke sitting in the corner saying my hw was the best gun ever, come on guys move with the times.

Must of left mine at the shop, HW100 best gun i have had, would be tempted with a Cricket , But "move with the times" with what?

Still waiting for anything revolutionary from FX, Big Gnat,-if I suddenly get the desire to shoot arrows then I will buy a Bow-as for smooth twist barrels-they were in use in the 1800's so nothing new there besides the fact that that any appreciable gain in accuracy is negligable in airgun terms-might make a difference over half a mile but not many full bore shooters are rushing out to replace their tubes so I guess that I will side with them. As for many AA's being for sale I am rather confused-being the first person in the line when stupid was handed out even I can see that if you sell a shed load of magic beans then, after a while, there's gonna be beans for sale at bargain prices (and trust me-there are some AA's for sale that are a steal-even if they don't shoot arrows) so there's why not many FX's are up for grabs yet-but they will be, and the original buyer will lose the same amount of beer money as the seller of an AA-if not more.

The next step forward? in the puffgun world will be fully auto PCP's where each pull of the trigger sends another blast of pellets towards the target-but why? Airguns have reached their zenith and can do anything that you could ever ask of them.

Everyone is entitled to believe what they want, if they find an air rifle that suits them and they can shoot well with it then its the best for them.

Unfortunately if there's one thing i've noticed with air gunners is that there is a lot that believe that the pricier the rifle and more "modern" or "revolutionary" it is the better it is. It all means nothing if you're a poor shot. As long as the rifle is properly engineered I'll take it.

You are not wrong there , when i turn up at target shooting with my bobcat people frown as if its not the thing, but i still hit the targets, you dont have to spend thousands on gun and scope, if your a good shot you dont need all the **** to go with it

You are not wrong there , when i turn up at target shooting with my bobcat people frown as if its not the thing, but i still hit the targets, you dont have to spend thousands on gun and scope, if your a good shot you dont need all the **** to go with it

but it does help,

Amen to that. :good:

hello, i have 2 FX PCP air rifles and rate them against any others in the same price range and design, in fact my vermy MK 1 is better than the BSA R10 I had but the style is not for everyone, just had it serviced and full time ratter with photon, my .177 T 12 16 shot is ok but the stock is to wide but well made rifle and shoots spot on. although now up for sale as just gone FAC.

I love my fx cyclone i have had every make model out there in my 35 yrs and so far this is looking a keeper it's beautifully made shoots like a dream and looks nice too but the main point about this is it hasn't developed any faults ,leaks or anything .

Unlike my daystates ,hw s which gave me endless faults so much so i will never buy another one of either of those makes again.

I love my fx cyclone i have had every make model out there in my 35 yrs and so far this is looking a keeper it's beautifully made shoots like a dream and looks nice too but the main point about this is it hasn't developed any faults ,leaks or anything .

Unlike my daystates ,hw s which gave me endless faults so much so i will never buy another one of either of those makes again.

I think until you have owned a fx it hard to explain to people how good they are.

Atb