Legal info

This may sound pretty strange - however.........

I have a very close friend who has expressed an interest in coming along to do a bit of shooting with me.......however.........(and try not to be too judgemental) over 30 years ago he received a lifetime firearms ban for a moment stupidity.

I've been swerving making any arrangements - as I am not fully aware of the possible ramifications. Subsequently, I wonder if anyone would have more of an idea?

No doubt he would never be granted a SGC but would he be able to accompany me or indeed shoot with my gun under my supervision??

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks

Him, being in possession of ANY firearm or ammunition is an automatic prison sentence. That would (technically) even include a pellet for an air rifle.

EDIT : CPS link added. Minimum 6 month sentence applies.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/section_21_firearms_act/

Edited by robbiep

Does this part cover it?

Offence: s 21 Possession of firearms by persons previously convicted of crime.

1. A person who has been sentenced to custody for life or to preventive detention, or to imprisonment or to corrective training for a term of three years or more or to youth custody or detention in a young offenders institution shall not at any time have a firearm or ammunition in his possession.

You would be committing an offence under section 21 of the firearms act.

(5) It is an offence for a person to sell or transfer a firearm or ammunition to, or to repair, test or prove a firearm or ammunition for, a person whom he knows or reasonable ground for believing to be prohibited by this section from having a firearm or ammunition in his possession.

The word “sell” is often used throughout the Act in conjunction with the word “transfer”. Transfer is defined in section 57(4) of the 1968 Act as including letting on hire, giving, lending and parting with possession.

so you would be transferring the gun to him even if it was for 10 mins.

I've often wondered on the legality of a club letting a non-licence holder shoot if they have been refused a SGC for any reason.

Regarding Davyo's comment about associating with "dubious" characters this has been brought up elsewhere when someone "friended" a convicted armed robber on Facebook without knowing his background. His SGC application was refused because of it.

I've often wondered on the legality of a club letting a non-licence holder shoot if they have been refused a SGC for any reason.

Regarding Davyo's comment about associating with "dubious" characters this has been brought up elsewhere when someone "friended" a convicted armed robber on Facebook without knowing his background. His SGC application was refused because of it.

Someone being refused a SGC/FAC is completely different to 'Prohibited Person' status. A club would not be in breach of any laws.

I've heard the facebook story too, but never seen any evidence for it. It's always a 'friend of a friend'. So quite possibly an urban myth.

Does this part cover it?

Offence: s 21 Possession of firearms by persons previously convicted of crime.

1. A person who has been sentenced to custody for life or to preventive detention, or to imprisonment or to corrective training for a term of three years or more or to youth custody or detention in a young offenders institution shall not at any time have a firearm or ammunition in his possession.

From last year this now also applies to suspended sentences.It also now applies to antique firearms. On discharge from prison he would have had the firearms act explained to him and he would have to sign the firearms act.