Silma over unders

Big Mat

I have an old multi choke Silma Supreme, a wabbitbosher bargain. No idea how old it is but lovely gun, well built and I can miss just as good as any other gun. Have to say I fancied a new one the M80 looks very nice. It is I think only 2 3/4 chamber rather than a 3inch but for clays wouldn't be an issue. Google found a couple of good reviews. The Yildiz was another contender, more expensive and Turkish but again some good reviews. Hopefully someone with a new Silma will reply as I still fancy a new one but the Supreme is a keeper.

Edited by Moblies

When I was looking for my Cogswell I did look around for other alternatives in the same price range (couple of hundred quid higher and lower) and I looked at Silma and ATA. The ATA just felt horrendously cheap and nasty. The Silma was better all round, but very plain on the action and the stock. It also didn't quite have the same balance as Berettas or the Cogswell and just felt a little numb.

They look great guns for the money, but if you can 'push the boat out' a little on cost I think there's a good improvement to be had in terms of handling.

When I was looking for my Cogswell I did look around for other alternatives in the same price range (couple of hundred quid higher and lower) and I looked at Silma and ATA. The ATA just felt horrendously cheap and nasty. The Silma was better all round, but very plain on the action and the stock. It also didn't quite have the same balance as Berettas or the Cogswell and just felt a little numb.

They look great guns for the money, but if you can 'push the boat out' a little on cost I think there's a good improvement to be had in terms of handling.

I did handle an ATA in the shop and i didn't like the feel of it, the Remington and Bettinsoli i tried didnt feel any better either. There was a nice Beretta, but the stock was very short.

I'm not 100% convinced on buying an over under at the moment, just browsing really!

Ive still got my Silma that I brought new over 30 years ago,its never given any trouble,obviously is not as tight as it used to be. Ive put 10s of thousands of cartridges through and still take it when the weathers pants and dont want to drown my MK38. If it fits you it doesnt matter what make it is if it reliable,on clays Ive out shot some very expensive guns that people have brought with their hearts not their heads!!!

I had one that I bought about 25 years ago a supreme and loved it. I bought it from a proper old gun shop and paid for it with 3 post dated cheques. It's a basic gun but to me it was the best I could afford. It never failed me in the many years and shells I put through it.

I think that this may be the one that I bought from you rimfire?

if so, I can honestly say that for the money they are a very underated gun.

fit and finish was really good and it handled very well indeed.

I only sold it as I had just bought a MK38 and it wasn't getting used.

the new ones I have handled have been just as good.

Let's face it show me a modern gun with poor metal fit and poor wood to metal fit. They don't exist as modern machining takes care of it.

You can but a new Baikal for not a lot and it will last a lifetime.

Personnel preference and parts availability if it should go wrong are the real factors in making a choice.

I think that this may be the one that I bought from you rimfire?

if so, I can honestly say that for the money they are a very underated gun.

fit and finish was really good and it handled very well indeed.

I only sold it as I had just bought a MK38 and it wasn't getting used.

the new ones I have handled have been just as good.

That's the one. Glad it is still giving someone service along the line.

• 2 weeks later...