Falcon Menace

I'm looking at getting a falcon menace scope.

Claims to be mil/mil adjustments, FFP etc. Looks good but sounds too good to be true on such a cheap scope.

Anybody have any experience with these? What's the tracking like? Does it weigh an absolute ton? What's the glass like?

Forgot to mention will be used for a mix of small game shooting (rabbits and squirrels) and rimfire competition.

Edited by Guest

Yes. I have one of the new M18s. Like you, I doubted it could be any good for the money but it was worth a punt at the price. I haven't been disappointed. It has been very good indeed, much much better than the price suggests. I took it to one of the ranges I'm a member of and a few people have looked through it and all have commented how good the optics were and how nicely made it is. It tracks well, holds zero on my .308 and at 740g isn't overly heavy for what it is. Optically it displays less chromatic aberration than my V3 leupold. Resolution is very good and its also good when the light drops, one of the classic tests as all reasonable scopes can be hard to separate until challenging light conditions rear their heads. For the money it is an absolute no-brainer.

I wouldn't recommend it for a rimfire hunting unless you must have all those features...it would be total overkill in terms of magnification, size, weight and the ret is more target orientated. For more target use it is probably a good choice. All I use on my hunting rimfires are the Hawke Rimfire ret scopes or 4 x duplex ret scopes and they're more than adequate, much better VFM for that purpose at about £80.

Edited by Savhmr

Hi

yes, if light conditions fade and you're shooting against a dark background, thin rets can be difficult to pick up. However, zoom out to between 4 and 6 times and the thicker outer crosshair post provides and adequate thicker guide which with practice you can use accurately. The milldot version uses thinner lines than the Mil-hash ret but the dots themselves are thicker than the M-H ret lines so that might be ok for hunting. Light gathering is impressive on these too. It depends on whether you intend it for mainly dusk and dawn shooting. If not, then there's no real issue.

Edited by Savhmr

Had one on my HMR for a bit, it was massive with the sunshade on and possibly a bit too tacticool. Optically it was ok but personally I'd buy a decent fixed 6x second hand (Leupold or something German - I saw a Zeiss on eBay go for £160 about a month ago which I missed out on but did get a Pecar shortly after).

• 2 weeks later...

Got to have a look at one of these the other day. It's a piece of cheap junk so dismissed it out of hand.

Not the one I have...was the one you looked at the newer version?

I've got rid of a few Hawkes recently that weren't much cop and kept the Falcon, but yes, if you want top notch glass AND build, you dont tend to get both on a budget. You can have maybe one or the other.