Fill in drilled holes in body work

dannyboy

This is the the same method as Ditchman gave you in post 6 above - using a propane or (better) MAPP torch and high zinc content aluminium rods.

These come in a variety of trade names - Laser, Lumiweld, Technoweld, HTS 2000 as well as Durafix and can be bought cheaply on Ebay

As long as the aluminium is scrupulously clean and well scraped with the stainless steel brush supplied, the hole-filling technique as shown on the video should work, and you don't run the risk of distorting the aluminium panel because the temperatures are lower than TIG welding.

The downside is that the material itself is a darker colour than aluminium, so won't match your panel and it is harder than aluminium, so more difficult to sand down. That said I have used Lumiweld to fill in holes in bike castings, repaired stripped threads and fabricated bits and pieces out of thin-gauge aluminium. It really is as easy as soldering and relatively cheap.

Yeh I think that will give a stronger finish, will practice a few times before on the 90. With some patience I should be able to sand it down, smooth enough to paint. Cheers!

Yeh I think that will give a stronger finish, will practice a few times before on the 90. With some patience I should be able to sand it down, smooth enough to paint. Cheers!

I found that you need a sharp file to take off the blobs and frequent changes of emery paper wrapped around a hard block to control what you are sanding, because it is awfully easy to catch the aluminium. You can get a fine finish on it though.

I found that you need a sharp file to take off the blobs and frequent changes of emery paper wrapped around a hard block to control what you are sanding, because it is awfully easy to catch the aluminium. You can get a fine finish on it though.

if you do use this then YOU MUST TIN IT FIRST...then its easy peasy....either get temp crayons or use a bar of soap...when it turns brown ...you are at the right temp

Edited by ditchman

Gas welding ali bodywork needs more skill but gives a great finish and it don't play heck with electronic gear like hf tig can

People believe tig is the only way it's not and the tig needs AC so discount the cheap ones and teaching yourself as these are mainly DC only

I should go with adhesive designed for ali plates backing straps and filler if you want to do it and haven't the welding skills or gear to hand

Modern aircraft and such are often bonded there is some good gear about