classic dave carrie - high birds

Yeh that's for sure! 3 shot are something like 4mm each

No, they're not 4mm.

By the way, a couple of size 3 pellets up the **** will more than likely wound more than a couple of 6s.

I have some head cam footage I can edit and post from a day earlier in the year at Brigands if anyone is interested?

Go for it!

Edited by motty

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to be honest-I don't see much skill in shooting birds like that-they are big targets and you have all the time in the world to track their line of flight-using such a powerful cartridge then does the rest. I'm pretty sure that most keen shots who boast the ability to pick their nose without poking themselves in the eye have the ability (but not the money) to shoot such birds. I watched it till the drive where there were so many birds in the air that some would have died due to collision damage.

Got to be honest-I don't see much skill in shooting birds like that-they are big targets and you have all the time in the world to track their line of flight-using such a powerful cartridge then does the rest. I'm pretty sure that most keen shots who boast the ability to pick their nose without poking themselves in the eye have the ability (but not the money) to shoot such birds. I watched it till the drive where there were so many birds in the air that some would have died due to collision damage.

You state in your info that you "can't understand Pheasant Shooting and Hate Fox hunting" thats your prerogative, but it is indisputable that those were incredible shots, and testing birds.

You also say you've been shooting 30 years so you must be knowledgeable, however unfortunately I think your post reflects a bias and a chip on your shoulder regarding the style of shooting rather than a genuine belief that "such a powerful cartridge does the rest" or that " most keen shots with the ability to pick their nose without poking themselves in the eye have the ability to shoot such birds", the latter of which is actually a very amusing way of putting it I must say.

It's a shame to let such a thing get in the way of appreciating skill within a different discipline of the sport to your own. Dave Carrie or indeed anyone else has the right to spend however much of their money they like on whatever they like.

Edited by OJW

bruno22rf, on 05 Dec 2015 - 4:39 PM, said:

I have never shot at pheasants that high and probably never will, but I can imagine it takes a lot of skill to get the right lead on them kind of birds you would have to double the lead on those from say a 30 40 yarder so a conscious effort to do so and do it as often as he does takes a lot of ability and skill

Edited by yickdaz

Allrighty-1/ yes I am on drugs.2/I never suggested that I have a problem with the way the man spends his money-my point is that if

you,OJW or for that matter most people, were to spend as much money and time shooting such birds then you would be of the same ilk.

Allrighty-1/ yes I am on drugs.2/I never suggested that I have a problem with the way the man spends his money-my point is that if

you,OJW or for that matter most people, were to spend as much money and time shooting such birds then you would be of the same ilk.

Not sure about that , throwing money at a sport rarely makes you good at it , there needs to also be a natural ability .

I believe Dave Carrie has shot for or shoots for his country I know I could throw as much money at it as I like and never make that grade.

Let me try and explain it to you Dunkield-it's really not that difficult....if you shoot at a higher than normal bird (those feathery things) you need 2 things-more lead (aiming further in front) and a cartridge that will then kill the target (the "bangy" things and the feathery things) now is that really that difficult?- there's no "magic" involved-just simple logic. If you don't agree with someone's opinion then that's fine, but ,as a Mod, you should respect the fact that they have one and , as long as they don't break forum rules you might consider allowing them such a privilege without feeling the need to use your position to make derisory comments-are you on drugs?

Let me try and explain it to you Dunkield-it's really not that difficult....if you shoot at a higher than normal bird (those feathery things) you need 2 things-more lead (aiming further in front) and a cartridge that will then kill the target (the "bangy" things and the feathery things) now is that really that difficult?- there's no "magic" involved-just simple logic. If you don't agree with someone's opinion then that's fine, but ,as a Mod, you should respect the fact that they have one and , as long as they don't break forum rules you might consider allowing them such a privilege without feeling the need to use your position to make derisory comments-are you on drugs?

I agree that with high birds, an increase in forward allowance is usually required. You are, though, failing to mention that this aspect is a lot harder to judge.

Do you really mean what you have written here Bruno ?....Or,is it a wind up! ?.

I guess his world FITASC win was luck too......