First roost shoot of the 2015 winter

caeser

Some really enjoyable high fast birds. Tricky shooting between the branches.

You can see the quantity of birds about at around minute 5 of the video. Sorry about the excessive head movement, but you have to have your eyes everywhere. It needs to be played in 1080p HD to appreciate it properly and see some of the hits.

Edited by caeser

Good video, not enough people record their roost shooting outings, it's one of my fav types of shooting.

I wouldn't worry about the branches, I was always told unless you hit a big branch there should be enough shot get through to take the bird down.

Thanks for posting.

I would have moved out from under that silver birch tree.

I thought that Also, The line seemed to be a bit out to the left of you. Where was the other shooter positioned in relation to you? Roost shooting can be great and it can be very frustrating because like there you have picked a spot that you are happy with and the birds start to land in the trees in front of you so you move a bit closer and they all take off along with the ones that were in the tree above your head. so you get in position to shoot the ones coming into the trees and they all start to land in he trees where you were. At least you had a fair amount of traffic. The other thing is the trade drops off and you think well that's it for tonight and you start to come out of the woods and a load start to come in. So you think I'll wait a bit longer and then that is it and no more come. Good fun though.

My position was carefully chosen. I have been roost shooting successfully for about 40 years now. The video only shows 9 minutes, whereas we were there for about 2.5 hours.I can assure you the pigeons were coming from all different directions during the course of that time. If I would have moved forward or to the right I would have been in full view of them, and they would have veered away well before coming in range. It seems like people are criticising my methods. Well tell that to the pigeons, there was a lot more down than you can see in the video. You cannot see the whole picture and

judge a situation from a square window looking out.

My position was carefully chosen. I have been roost shooting successfully for about 40 years now. The video only shows 9 minutes, whereas we were there for about 2.5 hours.I can assure you the pigeons were coming from all different directions during the course of that time. If I would have moved forward or to the right I would have been in full view of them, and they would have veered away well before coming in range. It seems like people are criticising my methods. Well tell that to the pigeons, there was a lot more down than you can see in the video. You cannot see the whole picture and

judge a situation from a square window looking out.

Nothing wrong with the video. Keep them coming!!!

A good video and some good shooting .

I don't think people are criticising your methods but rather offering what they thought was helpful advice, but as you say they have only seen a small window of what you were doing and so are missing the bigger picture.

I would not take it to heart after all its up to you if you take it on board or ignore it.

Edited by fenboy

If you're playing it on your Pc, there should be a symbol that looks like a gear wheel when you move your cursor over the video , select this symbol, and several options should appear. Just select 1080p HD and that should be it, I think.If not, then I'm sure someone on here will point you in the right direction.

Edited by caeser

No criticism was implied, intended or otherwise in my previous post. I simply said that I would have stood elsewhere as I find it difficult not to get distracted by branches if I am attempting to shoot birds flying over trees that I am standing underneath.

Great vid, I've been out this weekend for 2nd time this year. It's a bit steady at present as only a couple of woods that I can shoot without disrupting my game shoot and so there's plenty of safe zones they can roost in. My two bags have been 14 and 7. What did you end up with after this outing?

I shot in the low twenties.Lost a few birds as some came down a fair distance away and I didn't retrieve them all. Could have done with a dog. One even landed in some flood water. It was literally only a few feet from my grasp, but the water looked deeper than my wellies.