Semi for clays

Theduckman

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 for the Beretta AL391. I have one and it is fantastic. They can be had for a great price considering they are Beretta quality - much cheaper than a second hand O/U. Just change the recoil spring when you get it (about £10 from Brownells) and you know she will run and run.

I have a lot of metalwork in my jaw and if I shoot more than 100 birds in a day with a SxS or O/U then the screws holding my face together really irritate my cheek and feel 'hot.' Much less of a problem with the semi as the movement of the working parts slows down the recoil. Far more comfortable.

A word of caution though. Semi-autos are much more complicated than an O/U. Even if you are new to shooting, an O/U is so simple you really shouldn't get it wrong. A semi requires a bit more thought and (dare I say it) training. Others have mentioned 'no such thing as an unsafe gun, just an unsafe shooter' which is true, so learning that you have a magazine and a chamber to check each time you finish shooting before you step away from your peg becomes really important. Just because you do not think you put three in it, does not mean you didn't put three in it. You only need to get it wrong once for your world to change.

Good luck finding your gun.

Ali

Few years ago one evening when I was at a rifle club I was a member of I overheard a conversation between an existing member and a first time shooter about clay shooting, the member was telling the newbie how he also is in a clay shooting club and new guy was welcome to come along, He then went on a 10 min rant about "those people who bring semis to clay grounds" and how dangerous they are "as they are always loaded and they spit out empty shells everywhere" and how they are not allowed in his club.

Felt the need to correct him but decided to just simply go home and leave him to it - his club folded shortly after that.

+1 for the Beretta AL391. I have one and it is fantastic. They can be had for a great price considering they are Beretta quality - much cheaper than a second hand O/U. Just change the recoil spring when you get it (about £10 from Brownells) and you know she will run and run.

I have a lot of metalwork in my jaw and if I shoot more than 100 birds in a day with a SxS or O/U then the screws holding my face together really irritate my cheek and feel 'hot.' Much less of a problem with the semi as the movement of the working parts slows down the recoil. Far more comfortable.

A word of caution though. Semi-autos are much more complicated than an O/U. Even if you are new to shooting, an O/U is so simple you really shouldn't get it wrong. A semi requires a bit more thought and (dare I say it) training. Others have mentioned 'no such thing as an unsafe gun, just an unsafe shooter' which is true, so learning that you have a magazine and a chamber to check each time you finish shooting before you step away from your peg becomes really important. Just because you do not think you put three in it, does not mean you didn't put three in it. You only need to get it wrong once for your world to change.

Good luck finding your gun.

Ali

Hi

I have a 391 as well. Out of interest did you keep the standard 60mm shim in or did you change it?

Reason I ask is - does it shoot flat for you or is the pattern about 60/40 high?

I normally shoot an o/u but seem to be using the 391 more and more. I see about 2 stacked £1 coins on the rib whereas the o/u sees about one £1 coin.

Also after trying the fit of several semi's and shooting a few the 391 just felt right for me.

Can only recommend the OP tries a few. I liked the M2, Remy 1100, SX3 but the 391 was the one for me

Why would anybody possibly think doing that would be a good idea?!

I have witnessed the same thing whilst Reffing a line of DTL, I decided to wait until he had shot and the gun was safe before stopping the line, just in case my approaching him from behind caused him to have the best pedicure ...ever !

Having had several semi auto's over the years, I currently have both Beretta 391 and 303. I tend to just use the 303 for clays and the 391 for pigeons and instruction. I do find the 303 is more ammo fussy, BUT it is easier to clean than the over engineered 391. Try and find a nice 303 with a 28" multi choked barrel and it will do all you require, with the minimum of maintenance.

To all of the grounds that ban the use of auto's, all of the trap house damage that I suffered and all of the dead moles, over a period of some 17 years, were by the users of break open guns. I would add that most of those were 'EMPTY' too !

Seen one dedicated to a Beretta AL 391 SA that catches two spent cartridges Stevo ..

great stuff , its about time they had that sorted , I always thought iit was a good idea , be great in the field let alone the clay grounds

Dartford Ground will not allow semis or pumps on DTL.

I was told this was due to an accident when someone in the line rested a loaded semi on his foot and drilled through his boot!

bit strange that as I shot DTL at the all round shoot with a semi auto

Semis are pointable, light and low-recoiling. The only issue I have seen is when there's a jammed cartridge or similar malfunction and the shooter waves the thing around while racking the bolt back and forth.

Just be familiar with the operation of the gun and use a breech flag to allay concerns.. Carry it between stands in a gunslip, or keep it pointing safely, usually upwards. Don't carry it horizontally in one hand; it makes people nervous.

Then enjoy it!

the ones that moan are normally **** anyway and if your any good they"lll say anything to try make your day ****

Ive just started shooting dtl and never heard so many great exuses and moans all though 99% people are sound theres still that 1% that hate seeing others do well and come out with some great exuses why they were **** and you were good but all it does is push you on more to beat them but only cus ull have all straight birds unlike them obviously lol

I was just thinking what muppet does that?

A Muppet that was used to using an O/U, just automatic (pun intended) to rest the barrel on his foot ! When I have used an auto for trap shooting, I hold the grip in my right hand and rest the heel of the stock in the right pocket of my shooting vest, between shots.