Shooting Tomorrow good idea or not? gales!

Sean Richo

Off to bed three of us going tomorrow must be mad looking at the weather forecast I have got a feeling we will have a good day apart from the weather. Good luck to everyone out tomorrow have a good day. Going to have to brave the elements am sure we may be rewarded. Lots of fields and streams flooded on farms so could be an interesting day will walk the hedgerows in hope of a pheasant or woodcock too.

After leaving the house at 4.45 am just arrived home around half an hour ago. Me and a few friends went to Anglesey for the day. We had our morning flight at the inland sea to those who know it lots of widgeon and teal but unfortunately just out of reach as the tide was right in had a couple of shots but no joy. A walk round a few of the flooded farms not much happening on the duck front but managed a hen pheasant and a crow. We then headed to the head of the alaw were I managed a teal. Weather was horrible soaked right through but enjoyed the day. The bag was small but could of easily been a lot more with a bit of luck on the plus side I must of saw over a hundred duck today mainly widgeon and teal. Just couldn't get under them some big groups of duck about tho.

With the flood gates shut for the last five days over 150 acres of our ings land and water meadow land under water and with our neighbours over 700 acres of land flooded. Had a look round this morning a lot of duck about so had a early lunch got the punt out and took the big gun off and decided to go out on the flood water to a large area of water sheltered by a large hedge put my decoys out and drop anchor and wait for the ducks to flight in.So got the punt on the trailer put the gun, decoys in the punt and headed of to the flood water got to the launch site and it was blowing a gale pouring down with rain got the punt floated and headed off rowing against the wind with waves nearly 3 foot high and the punt slowly filling with water from the spray that hit the front of the punt after 300 yards of hard rowing decided it may be was not a very good idea after all so headed back to the trailer and called it a day got back home and unloaded every thing then decided to go to another of our flooded fields and walk down the hedge to the waters edge and put ten duck decoys out 30 yards into the water. Then put 6 goose decoys out on the waters edge then sat down behind a large oak tree with the lab next to me. By this time it was 3.30 five widgeon flew by never picked them up till well past me some more went over very fast put the gun up but had not taken the safety off what a muppet. It is now 4.30 and light disappearing fast suddenly 3 greylags appear heading straight for the decoys bang bang never touched a feather the day was going from bad to worse.The light had nearly gone and it was blowing a gale I thought give it five more minutes then I will pack up just then heard the wonderful sound of wink wink looked up and ten pinks right above me up with gun hit the lead goose with the first shot then gave it the second to finish it off crashed into the flood water 50 yards out an easy retrieve for dipper my first pink of the season and a good end to the day.

With the flood gates shut for the last five days over 150 acres of our ings land and water meadow land under water and with our neighbours over 700 acres of land flooded. Had a look round this morning a lot of duck about so had a early lunch got the punt out and took the big gun off and decided to go out on the flood water to a large area of water sheltered by a large hedge put my decoys out and drop anchor and wait for the ducks to flight in.So got the punt on the trailer put the gun, decoys in the punt and headed of to the flood water got to the launch site and it was blowing a gale pouring down with rain got the punt floated and headed off rowing against the wind with waves nearly 3 foot high and the punt slowly filling with water from the spray that hit the front of the punt after 300 yards of hard rowing decided it may be was not a very good idea after all so headed back to the trailer and called it a day got back home and unloaded every thing then decided to go to another of our flooded fields and walk down the hedge to the waters edge and put ten duck decoys out 30 yards into the water. Then put 6 goose decoys out on the waters edge then sat down behind a large oak tree with the lab next to me. By this time it was 3.30 five widgeon flew by never picked them up till well past me some more went over very fast put the gun up but had not taken the safety off what a muppet. It is now 4.30 and light disappearing fast suddenly 3 greylags appear heading straight for the decoys bang bang never touched a feather the day was going from bad to worse.The light had nearly gone and it was blowing a gale I thought give it five more minutes then I will pack up just then heard the wonderful sound of wink wink looked up and ten pinks right above me up with gun hit the lead goose with the first shot then gave it the second to finish it off crashed into the flood water 50 yards out an easy retrieve for dipper my first pink of the season and a good end to the day.

Superb a result in the end which is what keeps us going and makes all the blank trips worth while so well done pal

There is a few less on the Wing now as nobody told the Pink's not to fly this morning

:lol::lol: ......... Didn't go this morning , we had to try and push a few long tails up , you ort to keep your eyes open as some of the high ones they missed might have ended up in your neck of the woods , when I say some, I meant most of them :yes:

I did manage to go when I got home, and lets just say the goose chase with me wanting a goose didn't last long , tonight was one of them nights you pray for.

:lol::lol: ......... Didn't go this morning , we had to try and push a few long tails up , you ort to keep your eyes open as some of the high ones they missed might have ended up in your neck of the woods , when I say some, I meant most of them :yes:

I did manage to go when I got home, and lets just say the goose chase with me wanting a goose didn't last long , tonight was one of them nights you pray for.

You tease John.Was it 4 shots 2 Right and Left and back home before the main flight !!!!!!!

Have you seen many of the White forehead Black Barred beauty's yet !!!!!! My two small party's are being Very Very sneaky at the moment egg passing when I've a empty Guns or Shouting when got out of Range