Any ideas people?

bigbird

Play hide and seek.

If she likes you muchly , hide when she is not looking .

She will come looking for you and you can go from there .

Already tried, she likes me muchly but when she finds me she knows she's secure and goes back to her antics :/ Wish I had had her fro

8 weeks old!!

Never be afraid to ask for help! Which is what I'm doing right now.

Ok guys, I need you to help me think outside the box.

I have a 7 month old cracking springer bitch, bought a couple of months ago. The problem? Her recall. Recall is The Most Important thing as you know.

This little bitch (hate that word) will stand off three or four feet waiting for me to do something exciting. I should add that as soon as I realised she did this that all retrieving was cut out as she's even worse with a tennis ball.

Tried treats. Tried treats and gradually touching her more and more so she realised I wasn't going to grab her. Doesn't work. Didn't grab her, didn't put any pressure on. She simply took the treat and retreated to about four ft away.

Tried long line. Worried her.

Tried tennis ball between my knees and bouncing another. She told me she wasn't that daft.

Jumps all over you when inside or in dog run but otherwise plays 'keep away' with delight and a waggy tail

I might add. Been like this since I had her. She's one of the most challenging dogs I have had and if she weren't mine I'm sure I could come up with all sorts of ideas. She is however and it's driving me nuts (but she has no idea)

Yes I help other people with dogs but we never know it all and any advice welcome!

I think she has had tennis balls chucked for her willy nilly where she came from.

Hence the stand off.

Tried being uninteresting. Tried turning my back. Tried everything I can think of.

She has also been to a trainer friend of mine the last two weeks because he was saying he didn't have anything to train so told him he could take her to have a play with. (Have utmost respect for friend and 100% knew he wouldn't spoil her) Made no difference whatsoever.

There are trainers and there are trainers. Get yourself and the dog to a good pro trainer and get the problem sorted. Pm me for my recommendation.

I had the very same problem with a clever springer. Whatever I tried just didn't work, which as you know is so exasperating!

And just like you I'd tried all the conventional stuff - confined spaces, walking away, lying down, treats etc.

Eventually I tried out a clicker. I stopped all other forms of training, reduced his rations a wee bit and did the exercise before feeding time, so he was more focused on trying to please.

And with time and patience it worked, first by getting the dog to realise that it'd be rewarded ONLY after it released the dummy to my hand.

Don't forget to 'load' the clicker before using it for the first time.

I've never needed to use a clicker before or since but it worked for me.

Search YouTube "Clicker Training a Bird Dog Retrieve". I did something very similar.

Good luck!

Edited by timd999

Thanks chuck, we haven't started retrieving yet because I think it had been overdone a touch (maybe) before I had her so retrieving is out of the question right now, this is plain old easy old (?!?!) recall! Never ever ever had a dog like this before but mark my words we will sort it :) Also thank you for the pm x

had a problem like this took pup out with my other dogs and let them free roam in a controlled manner (pathway with pig fence on either side) called each dog back and gave them plenty of praise and totally ignored the pup turning away when she approached me at the end of the session I called her in and gave her a good welcome back did this a few times and it sorted her out think it was the green eyed monster that did it.

had a problem like this took pup out with my other dogs and let them free roam in a controlled manner (pathway with pig fence on either side) called each dog back and gave them plenty of praise and totally ignored the pup turning away when she approached me at the end of the session I called her in and gave her a good welcome back did this a few times and it sorted her out think it was the green eyed monster that did it.

Tried that, she just stood off and looked at me as if to say 'oh yeh, THAt old chestnut' lol