I need a Lab. Where do I start?

sitsinhedges

Quite interesting reading the posts as I too am looking for a Lab, this will be my first and I'll be honest - I don't know much about labs yet.

I've found a possible dog with following results - 'Sires hips are 3/4.Eyes unaffected.Unaffected by TRD,GPRA,CPHA,HC.Elbow score is 0.Mother untested'

Whats your thoughts on these results?

The sires tests are immaterial because the dam is untested. There are far too many litters bred to even look at one that isn't tested.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quite interesting reading the posts as I too am looking for a Lab, this will be my first and I'll be honest - I don't know much about labs yet.

I've found a possible dog with following results - 'Sires hips are 3/4.Eyes unaffected.Unaffected by TRD,GPRA,CPHA,HC.Elbow score is 0.Mother untested'

Whats your thoughts on these results?

Sire has had his hips & elbows tested, he's also had an annual eye test from a BVA panel vet. He's had no DNA testing. Mother isn't health tested for anything.

Thanks Gents, the lab is just under a year old and is for sale at £1000 but based on your comments - do you think I'm probably best leaving him where he is? Or doesn't it matter, I wont be trailing him I just need another dog for my picking up.

Thanks Gents, the lab is just under a year old and is for sale at £1000 but based on your comments - do you think I'm probably best leaving him where he is? Or doesn't it matter, I wont be trailing him I just need another dog for my picking up.

I assume that's one on facebook, I find it odd that the pedigree of the parents isn't shown but grand parents is. You pays your money & takes your chances but I'd have thought a similar age dog from health tested stock could be found for this sort of money.

I assume that's one on facebook, I find it odd that the pedigree of the parents isn't shown but grand parents is. You pays your money & takes your chances but I'd have thought a similar age dog from health tested stock could be found for this sort of money.

Yes thats the one and the pedigree was one of my concerns as well.

I think my search will continue

Cor, I can't believe I missed out on a thread on the subject of health testing!

When it comes to Labradors OP, in an ideal world as others have said you're looking for both sire and dam to have good low hip and elbow scores and also preferably tested for GPRA, TRD, HC, CPHA, CNM, SD2, EIC, PRA and have an up to date annual eye certificate.

Edited by bigbird

Cor, I can't believe I missed out on a thread on the subject of health testing!

When it comes to Labradors OP, in an ideal world as others have said you're looking for both sire and dam to have good low hip and elbow scores and also preferably tested for GPRA, TRD, HC, CPHA, CNM, SD2, EIC, PRA and have an up to date annual eye certificate.

I'm learning a lot about labs. I read somewhere that if a sire has been tested clear and a dam untested the results will be clear puppies?

Nope the most likely result if dam is a carrier will be both clears and carriers amongst the puppies. Forgot to say if the dam was unfortunately affected and hadn't obviously shown the condition yet, clear x affected = all pups carrier. If dam is clear then all clears.

More info here

http://www.lab-health.co.uk/Tests/Optigen.htm

Edited by bigbird

I'm learning a lot about labs. I read somewhere that if a sire has been tested clear and a dam untested the results will be clear puppies?

It all depends on the untested bitch. The possible results are:

Dam is clear - all pups will be clear.

Dam is a carrier - approximately 50% clear & 50 % carriers

Dam is affected - all pups will be carriers.

It is possible that the dam could be affected but as yet is not showing any symptoms. A clear eye cert will help but it is no guarantee.

Yes thats the one and the pedigree was one of my concerns as well.

I think my search will continue

I was with someone today that has 2 dogs for sale. I'm not 100% but I think they're by Waysgreen Apollo who is an Irish FTCH out a decent bitch. If I've got the right litter they'll be 14 months old & I believe that they have had hips / elbows tested. I didn't ask a price. If it's any good pm for details, note that they're in North Yorkshire.

My mate bought a dog couple of years ago and had to travel half the length of the country to get a fully health tested pup.

Might be surprised how fe outside FT circles are fully tested

If i'm honest the majority of pups in this area are not health tested, or the normal bitch isnae as only having 1/2 liters but sire will be fully health tested.

It would be good if it all became compulsory, but for the hip scoring to be worth it all scans should be sent to be scored not just the scans that the vet says would pass/score low

I really need to get a dog as a shooting companion. It will be used mostly for decoying, some roost shooting and an occasional bit of walked up game shooting.

I think it really needs to be a puppy and preferably a small fox red or black bitch. It will probably be a house dog rather than kennelled.

I'm more interested in it being a useable healthy dog rather than an overbred field trial champion. I'm not really sure how hip scores etc work or how many working years I can expect to get out of a Lab.

Having had lurchers most of my adult life I don't really want to end up with a fat barrel for a dog either.

I realise it's going to cost me a few bob but I don't want to pay silly money either.

I was interested in a Cocker and like how small they are and what they can do but they seem too manic to be sitting around waiting for pigeons.

So where do I start and what do I look for?

You've already had some very good advice. Keep going!

My missus got her last lab from a guy near us who bred one of the UK field trial dogs. He isn't a professional breeder and does about 1 litter a year. Prefers the dogs to go to decent people, not breed/pedigree snobs.

Our lab is awesome - he's so spoilt though. House dog, choice of 2 sofas etc. Having said that, his breeding is very good and he is trained on dummies etc. When you take him out he just knows what to do and it's a pleasure to watch him work. Never seen any real fur/feather though. Temperament is also excellent.

We saw the breeder at the weekend and he's having another litter soon. If you are genuinely interested in a decent lab at a decent price then let me know.

I need a Lab. Where do I start?

Where's our good buddy kent in response to the Where do I start? part. He would no doubt have it by clarion "America! -

100_4452_zpsaohqxckz.jpg

at least for the ones that do the fox hunting" - and er, retrieving. :ninja:

Bigbird, bless you for promoting health clearances - pretty sure there are many from British bloodlines (field bloodlines) that have them. Got one of 'em, myself. :good:

MG

Edited by cracker

To be honest after all the potential health problems it makes me wonder if it's worth the risk. I also sent a text to a chap I was working with earlier this year and who owned a young Lab to see if he had any leads, it appears he is looking again too as the one he has turned out to be gun shy :ermm: Makes you think.

Its not just Labs that can have health issues , it should not be that difficult a task to find a litter of which the parents have been health tested.

As far as gun shyness goes again it can happen with any of the working breeds , and can often be attributed to something the owner has done rather than there being an issue with the dog.

Its not just Labs that can have health issues , it should not be that difficult a task to find a litter of which the parents have been health tested.

As far as gun shyness goes again it can happen with any of the working breeds , and can often be attributed to something the owner has done rather than there being an issue with the dog.

Ditto - gunshyness is almost always owner/handler induced, regardless of the gundog breed. And it ain't that Labs have an abundance of health issues, it's that those breeding field lines are at the forefront of identifying those issues and cleaning them out of future breedings. Read up on EIC (exercise-induced collapse) for what testing has been done among Labs on eliminating the condition of EIC that will benefit all other breeds that also carry the gene from which it originates.

MG

EMT, you're now officially my bestie. Luscious isn't he, I love him to bits even though I don't 'do' labradors really. :)

He is a failed detection dog, took months for my friend to persuade me that we would be a perfect match and initially my plan was to train him up and sell on. Ain't happening!

Drive, speed, style, brains, trainability, looks personality and a nose to die for. What more could you want?!

Apart from a spaniel lol

Edited by bigbird

To be honest after all the potential health problems it makes me wonder if it's worth the risk. I also sent a text to a chap I was working with earlier this year and who owned a young Lab to see if he had any leads, it appears he is looking again too as the one he has turned out to be gun shy :ermm: Makes you think.

In my local area most labs are bread around the shoots with little or any health testing and i've never heard of a dog having hip displasia or many other genetic illnessess really.

Not saying its right but the difference in modern breeding is u now having fewer sires and pups going all ove rthe counrty so u never ever hear if there is any health issues. Atleast when most pups stay local u have an idea if there are any health problems

Like other have said gun shyness is usually the trainers fault. Is the dog actually 'gun shy' and not gun nervous, depending on which it may be curable with training and time.

The vast majority of keepers i know would just buy any lab/pup and price is often far more important than breeding as long as of working stock, but some keepers dogs are rubbish too, althou thats almost always down to the training.