I need a Lab. Where do I start?

sitsinhedges

To be honest after all the potential health problems it makes me wonder if it's worth the risk. I also sent a text to a chap I was working with earlier this year and who owned a young Lab to see if he had any leads, it appears he is looking again too as the one he has turned out to be gun shy :ermm: Makes you think.

Most breeds have issues and/or problems. Labs are just scrutinised a lot more than others.

If you go to buy a house, car, gun or dog you'll always speak to someone who has had a negative experience. Doesn't mean it's the majority.

The tests are designed to minimize the risks. The `gun shy` thing is more likely operator error.

Labs are awesome - don't be put off by one bad review (and stay away from Trip advisor! :lol: )

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't you start, FB, you know I'm beating off people who want him ;) haha!

Bigbird can I ask who he is out of. He is about as close to perfection looks wise in a labrador as you are going to get. I know everyone likes different types of labs but for me he would do just fine. He would go lovely with my collection lol.

Bigbird can I ask who he is out of. He is about as close to perfection looks wise in a labrador as you are going to get. I know everyone likes different types of labs but for me he would do just fine. He would go lovely with my collection lol.

If you can tell that by just a photo of a dog you won't take much persuading to part with your cash if a breeder gets ther hands on you.

If you can tell that by just a photo of a dog you won't take much persuading to part with your cash if a breeder gets ther hands on you.

Lol. There is a tiny bit more to choosing a dog than a photo but I do have a soft spot for a good looking labrador. :-) Don't get me wrong I own some really ugly ******* but I looked past that for fantastic breeding.

Lol. There is a tiny bit more to choosing a dog than a photo but I do have a soft spot for a good looking labrador. :-) Don't get me wrong I own some really ugly ******* but I looked past that for fantastic breeding.

FairPlay I'm only pulling your leg but there is a serious side to picking a pup as I'm sure bigbird will vouch for be on your guard at all times there are plenty of unscrupulous Devils out there that will tell you everything you want to here, my tip is write down all the relevant questions you need answers to and quiz the breeder at length, for instance do they work if yes ask for a demonstration anyone that has a half handy gundog will be more than happy to show you. ( believe nothing and find out for yourself ) best of luck to you.

Edited by E.w.

Ftch means the parent will enter water. Hasn't shown a hard mouth nor has it given tongue

It also shows it was well trained and handled

It don't nesasarilly prove a great nose ability to sit still in a hide all day or perform in proper water with a flow. A lot of other stuff also

Nevertheless it's s start failing knowing the parents

Health checks genetic for eyes not just eye cert

Look at a low hip score for the labs and perhaps more so a clear and even score on elbows

I refer to labs on the health tests as this is the right dog for your shooting if not then another of the retriever breeds

To be honest after all the potential health problems it makes me wonder if it's worth the risk. I also sent a text to a chap I was working with earlier this year and who owned a young Lab to see if he had any leads, it appears he is looking again too as the one he has turned out to be gun shy :ermm: Makes you think.

He probably made the lab gunshy.

FairPlay I'm only pulling your leg but there is a serious side to picking a pup as I'm sure bigbird will vouch for be on your guard at all times there are plenty of unscrupulous Devils out there that will tell you everything you want to here, my tip is write down all the relevant questions you need answers to and quiz the breeder at length, for instance do they work if yes ask for a demonstration anyone that has a half handy gundog will be more than happy to show you. ( believe nothing and find out for yourself ) best of luck to you.

This is true and particularly with respect to bigbird :good:

Hiya he is by a dog called Derrity Mustard of Balswad, I think he's a FTW and out of a bitch called Premierleek Ohio of Chemsell.

Not particularly auspicious breeding but Edward definitely is a quality dog :)

Hiya he is by a dog called Derrity Mustard of Balswad, I think he's a FTW and out of a bitch called Premierleek Ohio of Chemsell.

Not particularly auspicious breeding but Edward definitely is a quality dog :)

Derrity Mustard has won a 2 day Open Trial, He's a son of IGL winner FTCH Farmclose Paddy. Paddy was a CNM carrier, so all those that think that cutting carriers out of the breed program dream on. The bitch goes back to winners on all lines.

Edited by PERCE

Derrity Mustard has won a 2 day Open Trial, He's a son of IGL winner FTCH Farmclose Paddy. Paddy was a CNM carrier, so all those that think that cutting carriers out of the breed program dream on. The bitch goes back to winners on all lines.

Sometimes a carrier ,of certain things, should be used if its an exceptional animal. Average run of the mill types should not be used if carriers. Just my take on things. There are far too many straight litters being bred without resorting to carriers.

You know this could be fixed as could the high numbers of dogs being entered into trials and getting a chance to run. Test them all prior? Only suitably health checked to run? once a dog or bitch is made up temptation will overcome surely?

That's 4 IGL winners out of the breed pool including & since Paddy.

How common is the knowledge these dogs are carriers??

Obivously urself Perce and some other FT boys will be pretty clued up by how common knowledge is it to the wider public?

If ur average joe who wants his average bitch lined (which is another issue itself) by any FTCH winner, do the owners advertise the fact its a carrier?

I remember reading somewhere about some Swedes? who imported some unrelated decent pups but it turned out were carriers they made it public knowledge their dog was a carrier and few of them got together with the pedigrees and fairly quickly sussed where/who was carrying it.

Bit more clued up than over here, or possibly not so money orientated there

While kent makes a very good point, that is how they would do it on the continent no matter how well bred the dog was.

Even still using an exceptional dog that is a carrier but breed with caution, u could even insist all pups tested before being sold or conditions put on them so only allowed to bred with the clear ones and any carriers speyed/chopped. If u went back 30+ years a lot of dogs would off been PTS there and then if had an obvouis health problem.

The boy that started the Korraffins Griffon bred done that to any dog which fell short of his breed standards at any point

How common is the knowledge these dogs are carriers??

Now this really is a can of worms.

There are certain companies that will test for different genetic diseases such as Pra, CNM etc.

Now depending on which company you use, depends on weather your results are sent to the kennel club. If the kennel club get the results they are available to anyone through their website. You can also check the results of offspring etc.

At one time the only companies available to carry out the tests automatically sent the results to the kennel club, but now you can get other companies to do the test that won't. So in theory you could have a sneaky test done and if it's a clear result submit it or have it retested by an affiliated testing centre.

If it it's a carrier you could keep your gob shut.

Now I am not saying this happens but it is possible. If you look up one of my bitches on the kennel club website she will show as a carrier for Pra but won't show for CNM even though she has been tested and is clear.

Mykc is your friend here....

Oh! Edited to add which company tested your bitch?

I used laboklin on one bitch and I have it the wrong way round. I had her tested for pra and cnm at the same time but if you check on the kennel club website for Gloveslane Chachacha she will only show as CNM clear. The Pra doesn't show.

My KC could be a fantastic tool for responsible breeders, but only if folk were totally honest and held there hands up for any and every inherited health problem there dog has.

In a few generations of careful breding u could really wipe out some diseases but still keep some of the top lines.

I read into this a bit for GWP's and epliesy, some breeders can pretty much trace it back to 1 dog which was imported won a lot of shows and also had a fantastic temperent which was not the norm at that time. It is meant to have disapeared at a youngish age. But some breeders still dispute this as there lines are full of it. It was a very busy boy in its short stud carear.

Thats the problem u have with some studs being used so heavily

I used laboklin on one bitch and I have it the wrong way round. I had her tested for pra and cnm at the same time but if you check on the kennel club website for Gloveslane Chachacha she will only show as CNM clear. The Pra doesn't show.

If you use Laboklin for PRA testing & use their option instead of the Opitgen version of the test I think it saves you £40 but the results can't be displayed by the KC for copyright reasons. However if you give the results to the KC, if the bitch is clear & you breed to a clear dog the KC will display the pups as being hereditary clear.

My KC could be a fantastic tool for responsible breeders, but only if folk were totally honest and held there hands up for any and every inherited health problem there dog has.

In a few generations of careful breding u could really wipe out some diseases but still keep some of the top lines.

I read into this a bit for GWP's and epliesy, some breeders can pretty much trace it back to 1 dog which was imported won a lot of shows and also had a fantastic temperent which was not the norm at that time. It is meant to have disapeared at a youngish age. But some breeders still dispute this as there lines are full of it. It was a very busy boy in its short stud carear.

Thats the problem u have with some studs being used so heavily

GWP's are slightly different, lots of rumours went about regarding the epilepsy issue but one of the main factors was lack of a gene pool to breed from at one stage and some breeders just staying far too close to their own lines. I gather this is also an issue with working strain Golden retrievers from someone I know who recently had her young one put down.

A lot of breeding is common sense but if you want the ultimate people will make decisions that an onlooker would think mad,

I've got a springer and a black lab. Springer is very good loads off energy and stays with me all day untill I send here for a retreave , black lab was bought from a good hunting back ground lovely bitch , but very very nervous stamp ya feet and she hides or runs can't do owt with her , both live in a Kennel inside my shed wouldn't part with them for owt ,any advice on how to deal with the black lab send my way lol

Good luck with ya purchase

Edited by imissalot

I've got a springer and a black lab. Springer is very good loads off energy and stays with me all day untill I send here for a retreave , black lab was bought from a good hunting back ground lovely bitch , but very very nervous stamp ya feet and she hides or runs can't do owt with her , both live in a Kennel inside my shed wouldn't part with them for owt ,any advice on how to deal with the black lab send my way lol

Good luck with ya purchase

No breeding is a guarantee just a probability thing

Dunno but makes me think about what it might be like on its own?