Surface rust on barrells 525

Sean Richo

Been out wildfowling and yet again got home and removed gun from slip and surface rust on barrells. Can't understand it every time I get home I spend half an hour cleaning and oiling the gun ready for use next time so when I go out the gun is cleaned and has a nice coating of oil on so how come it can rust in twelve hours. The thing is once it has made these marks it leaves a mark when you rub it off. Every time I go out this happens no matter what oil I use Leige Oil,Napier Oil,3 in 1 etc etc. The gun was brand new few months ago so want to look after it. I even get a toothbrush for on top of rib and under rib I make sure I clean and oil every bit of it but still get rust on it at end of day. I also store it in a browning sock that keeps moisture away from gun. Is it the salt water?

Bought brand new so should be under warranty. These are only very small patches but it does leave a rust mark that you can notice if you look carefully it won't effect the gun in any way it's only cosmetic but can't understand why it happens it could be because we visit differant places throughout the day so the gun is in and out the car I mentioned it to somebody the other week and he said its common with Brownings can't see how tho.

Has anybody else experienced this as a matter of interest surely it's not only happened to me? If so how did you get round it?

I had the same problem with my 425. In the end I bought a sx3 for the marsh. Try rubbing your barrels with a very oily rag in a circular motion, that's what I got told. If you find a cure post it.

Right here is the solution! Firstly use Napier barrier spray on any exposed metal and lightly wipe off. It dries slightly tacky but leaves a film salt water and blood doesn't penetrate. It will not just 'wash' off. Have an old spare gun sleeve in car, and as soon as you can when finished on marsh, use Napier vp90 gun cleaner which will remove the barrier film. Wipe clean/oil and put into a dry slip. Been doing this for at least 3 seasons my B 425 waterfowl is mint condition no rust or marking at all. It works!

Apply barrier spray night before or store coated in it....

I'd send it back to the importer. It shouldn't be rusting if well looked after.

I quite agree, BUT;

A cold gun brought in from the foreshore and placed in a gunslip and then in to a warm car will see any moisture travel to the surface of the cold metal and rust will be allowed to form. Exactly the same principle that causes wet window interiors overnight in winter.

Spray the metal work with Legia oil before placing in the car for the trip home.

I put the gun in the slip only for the journey home (2hours). Once I have got home it gets stripped and every inch of it gets cleaned and then oiled around three times over I just clean it and oil it repeatedly. Once am satisfied that there cannot be any moisture left it then goes into the browning sock to be put away the sock stays at home only goes in the slip for transportation. I am even going to get it out again this morning to clean and re-oil. Here is my plan from now on am going to take the Leige oil with me and half way through the day wipe gun down and give a good spray over with it. I also like the sound of the Napier barrier spray so will order one of them off Amazon and give it a good blast over with it the night before then when am finished clean and oil before putting in car seems like I have got options thanks for all the advice. Underdog I have read your posts and know you are massively knowledgable about firearms and how to care for them as you have a wide range but am a bit worried about using animal fat or vegetable oil just in case there is moisture in the oil with it coming from plants or animals knowing my luck it will have a reaction to the oils am already using. I should really get a cheap semi auto but the more I think of it I only want to use one gun as I love the gun it fits well and can shoot it well so rather keep to what I know and can't be bothered messing with semi autos if they don't cycle etc anybody else use there O/U for everything?

No problem.

If you can though, melt some pure bees wax and add some olive oil to a consistency you are happy with. Keep some in a pellet tin in the car.

Rub that all over as often as you like and down the bores. Kind on the hands too. Cheap too.

Candle wax and olive oil works too.

All the best to you on that foreshore.

U.

Edited by Underdog

I would ask the dealer that sold you the gun to take a look-had my 525 for 3+ years and still looks new. Other than that-new bag/let the gun warm up before you put it in any kind of covering-sit in the car for 10 minutes with the gun on the front seat and point a vent at it after wiping it over with an oily cloth/put some kind of dehumidifier in your cabinet or line it with polystyrene tiles-good luck, must be infuriating.

I dont understand you have a new gun and it rusts when out shooting

Obviously its not fit for purpose, they are designed for all weather use and if they rust then the barrel blue has not been done correctly when made or you or someone else has scrapped i bit off

Take it back to where you brought it and claim unfit for purpose for a full refund

I think the problem lies with me not the manufacturer I think due to the fact that am giving it a good coat of oil before I go out am expecting it to last all day am out the house near 15 hours in total and the gun is in and out the car all day as we shoot on farms and the foreshore. I think halfway through the day am going to give it a good clean and oil it again it's only the outside of the barrells by the way not inside. Also am going to clean it and oil it before journey home next time as the two hour journey in a damp car won't help even my car is soaked today inside seats soaking wet as it never stopped raining. Hope somebody learns from my mistake of thinking because a gun is oiled at the beginning of day it will last the full day if on the foreshore it will get washed off. Also getting paranoid now I think but does the barrell go wider at the end were the chockes go in as when I was cleaning barrells before I noticed as I looked down them they flute minutely at the end am sure this is just to allow the threading of chokes etc?