Woodcock Shooting Ireland

ollie

Hi All,

I was off work all last week, always take a week off at the start of December to get a bit of woodcock shooting done. Unfortunately, the temperamental Irish weather meant I didn't get out as much as I would like; however, I did get out 3 days and I managed to capture some footage from my outings.

Day 1: Was a little late starting on this day as the weather was very poor in the morning but I had a good idea it was going to dry up in the afternoon. In total I flushed 8 woodcock on this day (including 3 from one whin bush!!!), but I only got a shot at 3 and I bagged them all. It was very windy so it made for testing shooting, bird 3 seemed like it had been shot out of a cannon it was going so quick!!! My cocker spaniel Dinky worked very well this day.

Day 2: Dinky got a rest this day (don't like working a dog 2 days on the trot), so my Springer Spaniel Dawn joined us. The unpredictable Irish weather continued with bright sunshine the order of the day. Only flushed 4 birds with 1 offering a shot & being added to the bag.

Day 3: Was steady rain all day and myself & Dinky got soaked!!! Only 1 woodcock again this day.

Anyway I hope you all like the video. Sorry about all the slow-mo's, but I think it is sometimes difficult to make out woodcock in the video, so hopefully they are easier to spot on slow-mo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kezyaQxk_k

Please don't forget to like my video and subscribe to my channel for more videos in the future:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdXL__oYvbmKo0Ccm-vWRfw

Some good eating there Ollie ... one of my favourites.

Woodcock can ghost through the trees in real life, let alone on a camera, so I reckon you did a great job to capture the footage you did.

Loved it when you found the one you'd thought was in the river ... no-one likes losing a bird, especially a prize like a Woodcock, so no wonder you were chuffed!

Some good eating there Ollie ... one of my favourites.

Woodcock can ghost through the trees in real life, let alone on a camera, so I reckon you did a great job to capture the footage you did.

Loved it when you found the one you'd thought was in the river ... no-one likes losing a bird, especially a prize like a Woodcock, so no wonder you were chuffed!

Yeah they are tasty, especially the little legs on them.

I was chuffed with my old spaniel when she found that, I hate losing any birds especially woodcock.

Thanks for watching.

Some nice looking Woodcock country there ollie' not dis-similar to some parts round my way. Good shooting :good:

Thanks for watching fella. A few years ago this ground would have produced double the amount of woodcock, most of the cover have unfortunately been tore out with diggers.

Nice shooting again Ollie. I haven't seen a woodcock this season yet.

I've said it before but that is a lovely place you have there.

Cheers al.

Weather hasn't been great for the woodcock yet. We seem to get a lot more during hard frosty weather as they make their way to the low ground from the mountains & forestrys.

• 2 weeks later...