Advice needed for a keen newcomer

ajsnelling

Hello all

I have 2 small permissions I need a little advice on, one of them is pigeon central with a good tree line for a hide, the issue is that it is used by dog walkers, I've only shot there once so far and the walkers I bumped into were friendly old guys who wished me good luck, I am worried about possibly making a dog (and/or walker) jump if they are close behind me and I pop out of my hide a let a shot off without knowing they are there. What would you guys do?

The second permission is a rapeseed field, the farmer said he had trouble until he put a bird-scarer in at one end, at the other end is a scarecrow, but he was happy to let me have a go. I went there with my hide and decoys, set up with the wind behind me, I was there 4 hours and saw 2 pigeons over the entire field in that time, any advice would be really appreciated, thank you

On the first fieldmake some signs " Pest Control in Progress" so they are aware you are on the field , Print them off the PC and laminate. I've used this in the passed and you find they will not walk on the field, just keep and eye out for wanderers.

Field two only set up when you see birds on the field walk them off and when they return set up and you have a chance. When you say a bird scarer do you meen a gas gun if so you may not have much luck depemding on the size of the field, but good luck.

On the first fieldmake some signs " Pest Control in Progress" so they are aware you are on the field , Print them off the PC and laminate. I've used this in the passed and you find they will not walk on the field, just keep and eye out for wanderers.

Field two only set up when you see birds on the field walk them off and when they return set up and you have a chance. When you say a bird scarer do you meen a gas gun if so you may not have much luck depemding on the size of the field, but good luck.

Ah good idea. I'll make a few and put th on the field entrances.

Yes it's a gas gun, I turn it off when I arrive, this points at one end of the field and a scarecrow sits at the other end

With regards to the signs basc sell some already printed on a ridged plastic, only £1.50 each, are you a member of basc ajsnelling? Good idea if your not, membership gives you public liability cover, good luck with it,my rape field is the same, I lifted 50 or so of it on Saturday they never came back! I shot one!

on your 1st permission are you not able to get at least 100 yards away from the footpath?..disturbing/scaring folk will basically play on your mind and wont help you relax and concentrate and at some point you will get an anti which is a pain to deal with.Whilst you are totally within your rights it is considerate to avoid scaring anyone out of their skin..if you are unable to move away form the footpath then I guess the signs are a good fall back position.For the latter if/when the pigeons are hungry enough they will hit this field,keep an eye on it and set up again once they are back on it.depending upon the size of the field would happily leave the gas gun on especially on a windy day..but fundamentally you will never decoy pigeons to a field they don't want to be on.

Hello all

I have 2 small permissions I need a little advice on, one of them is pigeon central with a good tree line for a hide, the issue is that it is used by dog walkers, I've only shot there once so far and the walkers I bumped into were friendly old guys who wished me good luck, I am worried about possibly making a dog (and/or walker) jump if they are close behind me and I pop out of my hide a let a shot off without knowing they are there. What would you guys do?

The second permission is a rapeseed field, the farmer said he had trouble until he put a bird-scarer in at one end, at the other end is a scarecrow, but he was happy to let me have a go. I went there with my hide and decoys, set up with the wind behind me, I was there 4 hours and saw 2 pigeons over the entire field in that time, any advice would be really appreciated, thank you

You haven't said whether the dog walkers are on a designated footpath/right of way (i.e - whether or not they should be there)

Common sense says stay as far away from them as possible so you; a) remain within the law b) stay safe c) negate any stress/hassle d) enjoy your shooting.

Warning signs can help but some people will feel they have as much right to be there as you etc.... Really depends how accommodating they are!

Field 2 really needs some pigeon activity to warrant the effort.

Lots of good advice on here. Many thanks for that. The first field has a path up one side of it but walkers follow the edge of the field all the way round so signs either side of me might do the trick. I will also speak to the land owner and ask what he suggests (as I don't think he is too fond of dog walkers anyway)

I'm not a member of BASC but I will join soon. Good advice

Lots of good advice on here. Many thanks for that. The first field has a path up one side of it but walkers follow the edge of the field all the way round so signs either side of me might do the trick. I will also speak to the land owner and ask what he suggests (as I don't think he is too fond of dog walkers anyway)

I'm not a member of BASC but I will join soon. Good advice

the best thing you can do and every shooter should do is become a BASC member secondly enjoy your shooting win lose or draw