Whiskey

dob

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whisky : scotch

WhiskEy : Irish or American.

For Scotch, you also get into the single malt / blend area, but the range of flavours of Scotch is immense.

Personally, I prefer a soft, caramelly type of Scotch, usually meaning from Speyside (McCallan, Balevenie, etc) or an Orkney (Highland Park).

However, if you like your peaty whisky with a bit of bite, then you'll be looking for a Bruichladdich, or Islay type of drink.

If you want to be truly pedantic, then at least be thorough and correct.

Whisky = Scotland (and the international ones copying Scotland), Wales, England and Canada

Whiskey = Ireland and USA

Scotch = whisky produced only in scotland

To the OP, lots of good choices already mentioned. For an inexpensive but sipable blend Monkey shoulder is good value. JW black label is a step up in quality and price. For single malt that is light and easy sipping, Glenmorangie Orange label (Original I think it is called), Glenkinchie 12, and Balvenie Doublewood are all common and commonly on sale this time of year at Tesco and the likes, usually in the £25 bracket or so.

Thanks

rick

this man knows his Islay malts........not cheap but simply the best.Try a 10 year old Laddie or 20 if you really like your permission!

Just finished my bottles of, in no particular order, Laddie 20, Islay Barley 2007 and Scottish Barley :( which only leaves my über precious Octomore 6.3...

So, to cheer myself up, just ordered a Port Charlotte Heavily Peated :)

Happy days!

Seriously, everything else I drink just tastes like **** compared to these.

Black Art is like nail varnish remover though... not for me.

Edited by mick miller

MM,

have you been over to Islay?.....all the distilleries are brilliant at welcoming guests......have had a lot of fun when too wet for golf/Woodcock.... 'sniffing' my way around Ardbeg/Bowmore/laphroaig et al...Bruichladdich was saved about 15 yrs ago by a few city slickers but boy they've done a good job.......great visitors shop...I defy you to leave without walloping the credit card!......I only really hit the Malts in winter..but have too much all ready to see me through unless I make very old bones...and as I like a few large ones once the corks out its unlikely!!

Strewth, Flynny-have you got asbestos guts? I bought a bottle of Ardmore a couple of months back and it tastes foul-soon as it hits your tongue it tastes like Teacher's-bottle minus one small glass going free to anyone who wants it.

Lol. One of the lads at work got it me . it went down well lol

I've tried most mate but my favourite is Caolila I like the smokey and peaty ones mmmmmmm

I'm also partial to benromhac and anything from Islay lol

P's I'll take it if you post it me as an early Xmas present lol

Atb

Flynny

Edited by flynny

Whisky : scotch

WhiskEy : Irish or American.

For Scotch, you also get into the single malt / blend area, but the range of flavours of Scotch is immense.

Not just scotch. Irish whiskey and even bourbon may be blended or single malt.

Plus generally Irish whiskey is distilled 3 times whereas scotch is distilled twice. Smoother taste imo.

Personally I`m more of a bourbon fan. But failing that I`d go for a bottle of Bushmill`s single malt. Oldest distillery in the world, they must be doing something right.

I find jura tastes like burned mud

Bushmills is good nothing wrong with a bottle of jonnie walkers red if you want to keep it reasonable

Jonnie Walkers Red is about 13 Euros at the duty free, less than a tenner! It might even have been a litre bottle ;-)

MM,

have you been over to Islay?.....all the distilleries are brilliant at welcoming guests......have had a lot of fun when too wet for golf/Woodcock.... 'sniffing' my way around Ardbeg/Bowmore/laphroaig et al...Bruichladdich was saved about 15 yrs ago by a few city slickers but boy they've done a good job.......great visitors shop...I defy you to leave without walloping the credit card!......I only really hit the Malts in winter..but have too much all ready to see me through unless I make very old bones...and as I like a few large ones once the corks out its unlikely!!

The chap who turned the distillery around, helped with some investment, is a friend of a friend; I've not been to Islay (yet), although I'm sure I will one day. He has now moved on to a new venture but the vision he had still continues with Bruichladdich. It really is one of my favourites and I'm waiting for my pals barrel (yes barrel!) to mature a few year hence, it's going to be one helluva a whisky!

Edited by mick miller

• 3 months later...

Black Bush from Bushmills is quite nice for a bit of peat.

I like to keep bottles from all regions as depending on mood and time of year I like different Malts.

Let's face it if you loved the taste of a really cheap whisky your a winner as I have to spend a few bob to get something I can enjoy.