Mutton

islandgun

Mutton is fantastic but older sheep and our cull yows are always snapped up at market by the buyers who look after the processed food markets...my understanding is that the older meat holds together better when preparing ready meals / Ginsters filth etc...

I agree with the OP tho, it's fab meat and really not appreciated!

Old sheep both ewes and rams are bought for lots of unfathomable reasons baby food with extra calcium ,no waste, and bigger are often put into the healthy slimmers ready meals , lots of flavour (ram) and little fat ,(spent ewe).

Just sold a few for silly money but still cannot see the profit for them, not complaining though.

If butchered right mutton can have less fat , but you've really just got to poor the stuff off.

John.

before i moved to the farm shop where i work now i did 14 years at a meat wholesalers where we only dealt with mutton and chicken, we averaged 750-1000 mutton carcases a week though you can get some lean mutton (the skanky ones as we called them) i would say about 95% were fatty an quite a bit more fatty than lamb as lambs are young and not over 1 year old as they then become hoggets, and mutton is older meat,

colin

Edited by colin lad

certainly the mutton we have is fatty, i always thought it was that, that helped the flavour, Our wedders are castrated rams and because we cant "finish" the lambs in one year they are kept at least until one year old and if they are lucky (for one reason or another) two perhaps three yrs old, we do send lambs to auction on the mainland which are then finished more intensively, for the last twenty years i have thought that Hebridean mutton should be marketed as a premium product due to its almost wild existance

A small one woman business near here does ,'restit' (might not be the proper word) mutton which I think is salted and smoked. A recipe I understand is from your part of the world.

Blackpowder

Hm Reestit mutton, (just looked it up) Shetland origin brined and smoked in rafters above a peat fire, sounds great, Im making a smoker next year, looks like a something to try cheers :good:

Reestit mutton is delicious especially reestit mutton soup. There is a few different "recipes" and ways to make reestit mutton but we always mixed water and salt until there was enough salt in it to float a small potatoe with a 2" nail stuck in it then the meat went in and was held under with a clean stone. After a week in the pickle it was hung up to dry, hung above a peat burning fire definitely gives it more taste but mine is just hung above the boiler. Some might add sugar to the brine and saltpetre, there is different ways to do it.