Why should I buy a .410?

Wingman

I have recently been interested in purchasing a .410 shotgun, not sure why probably because I have never owned one. I would use if for the odd bit of rough shooting and maybe even clays but I cant quite put my finger on why I REALLY need one! So had a look at a few, my local shop had a nice Spanish SxS which was cheap and fitted quite well but then I also thought about a new Yildiz. Can anyone offer any thoughts, words of wisdom or advice on the merits of this small gauge and whether anyone has used them for anything other than shooting squirrels, mice or rats?

They seem to be just a bit of fun and a bit different and when my son is old enough it could be a good way to introduce him to the sport... (there you go I am trying to persuade myself its a good idea!)...

Ideally dont want to spend a lot so the Yildiz would be at the top end of the budget so I wonder what I can pick up for a couple of hundred quid?

I like them so much I have two,

bought a yildiz o/u and then saw a yildiz sxs so just had too

great for carrying around the woods, small enough not to catch on anything, yet still quite pokey guns

have taken pigeon with them as well as squirrel/rabbit etc

WP_20140420_08_19_48_Pro_zpsddd9661e.jpg

Very nice light guns excellent clean kills on larger game like Hare but limited in range 25 yards tops for reliable dead in the air kills of course you can fluke further

Myself? Yes I now tend to pick it up whenever I want fun over a good bag it's the sport of limiting yourself - the challenge or sporting side

A lead ban will effectively finish the calibre ( yes it is a calibre not a bore)

Oh they handle fast very fast but they need to

Fairly pointless iv got one that never sees the light of day.

Buy a 28 bore much more useable.

I used a moderated .410 a lot at one time found the 3" cartridges the best but it was still limited.

Although if you want one then buy one it's hardly a brand new pair H&Hs is it?

I'm also sniffing at a .410, mostly for the kids, but have heard the "Get a 28 instead", but have found the price difference between a Yilditz running at a couple of hundred quid, to 28s costing substantially more.

I'm also sniffing at a .410, mostly for the kids, but have heard the "Get a 28 instead", but have found the price difference between a Yilditz running at a couple of hundred quid, to 28s costing substantially more.

I have both .410 and 28 bore, which my Grandkids use. I took the 28 bore Yildiz O/U clayshooting with 15 gram cartridges yesterday and as already said, I would go for the 28 bore every time. A bigger range of cartridges available for the 28 bore too.

Very nice light guns excellent clean kills on larger game like Hare but limited in range 25 yards tops for reliable dead in the air kills of course you can fluke further

Myself? Yes I now tend to pick it up whenever I want fun over a good bag it's the sport of limiting yourself - the challenge or sporting side

A lead ban will effectively finish the calibre ( yes it is a calibre not a bore)

I wonder... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utcO2eB_eIY

Though I would expect a 28gauge to be far more versatile.

Edited by sitsinhedges

Err, it is a bore, but not a gauge. And as others are calling a 28gauge a bore they also are wrong.

A calibre can be a name, a numeric value of measurement or a gauge.

Winchester SuperX Xpert High Velocity Steel Shot US No6 1400fps 3/8 (10.5g)

Now if we could just get them over here at a reasonable price......or even just the wads.

Whilst 410 are often given to novices for light recoil and gun weight to learn to shoot, due to the choking on a lot of guns they do require a high degree of precision shooting (tighter pattern, requiring better aiming) and arguably are more difficult to learn with as less forgiving but I feel is they do encourage better shooting, although missing whilst learning can be frustrating.

When used by more experienced shots, they are a joy and challenge to use and getting a 410 is using less to do the same or more and it's fun!

I learned with a 410 sxs hammer (ElChimbo) and whilst I shot OK with it, the 410 modern OU I have now (Khan K226) is leagues ahead and I have no quandary about taking it out for rabbits, duck, pheasants, pigeon etc

Give yourself a challenge. I bought a Yildiz SPZ ME last Saturday. 410 O/U ejector with multichokes and auto safety for £650 - can't argue with that. Kills pheasants at 35 yards using Fiocchi 19 gram no 6 shot. You miss a few more than normal but guess what? When you hit it's a clean kill. And even better it's the MOST satisfying kill. They pattern really well with few gaps. Ie you need to be about 120% more accurate but was either killing or clean missing. I prefer it that way! And if you decide it's not for you when you go back to 30 gram no 6 you'll wonder how you ever missed! Go for it - it's Christmas! Ps 28 bores are great and all but it's hardly a big change from a 20! Get a 410 the only shotgun measured by calibre not bore. Winner winner pheasant dinner. SE

I had a yildiz 28 bore, it's was good.

410 and 28s are similar money for simliar grade guns.

You can pick a decent s/h o/u up in either flavour for less than £400.

Give yourself a challenge. I bought a Yildiz SPZ ME last Saturday. 410 O/U ejector with multichokes and auto safety for £650 - can't argue with that. Kills pheasants at 35 yards using Fiocchi 19 gram no 6 shot. You miss a few more than normal but guess what? When you hit it's a clean kill. And even better it's the MOST satisfying kill. They pattern really well with few gaps. Ie you need to be about 120% more accurate but was either killing or clean missing. I prefer it that way! And if you decide it's not for you when you go back to 30 gram no 6 you'll wonder how you ever missed! Go for it - it's Christmas! Ps 28 bores are great and all but it's hardly a big change from a 20! Get a 410 the only shotgun measured by calibre not bore. Winner winner pheasant dinner. SE

A 410 is a bore, Gordon Bennett. 0.410". A measurement of bore diameter nominally 410 thousands of an inch.

28gauge is not a bore, it is no more a bore than 20,16,12,10,8&4. They are gauges.

However many balls that make a total of one pound in weight.

If a pound of leads makes 28 balls what ever that ball measures or is copied will give you the nominal bore measurment of...... Drum roll.....wait for it......a 28gauge, ta da.

The bore of a 28g is around .550" (five hundred and 50 thousands of an inch).

What is forgotten is that about 200years ago no one had tool mart to go buy some standardised measuring devices!

Lesson over.