walking / shooting boots

hunters_return

I have Harkila Pro Hunter GTX 12inch. Expensive but good boots and half sizes available if my memory serves me right. I am a firm believer in trying a range of makes and sizes on in a shop before buying footwear. At the end of the day it is what feels right and comfortable on your foot. Don't forget to try on with thick socks or whatever you will be wearing in the field.

I find my Harkilas very comfortable with good ankle and lower leg support. Waterproof - I've stood in puddles in them for some time and waded shallow streams

Hi Guys,

Any suggestions for a pair of high waterproof boots.

I have a great pair of wellies so not looking for any of those.

all advice appreciated.

Paul

Here we go again........... REALLY can recommend the Meindl Glockner for hard upland and moor walking, Dovre for other

+1 for Meindl Dovre Extreme's but make sure you get the size right , best to try them on if possible.

I avoided the expense for a long time but glad I bit the bullet. You do need to wear them in as they are a bit rigid to start with.

totally agree.... I got a good deal on my Glockners from Gilsan on mine a few years ago

Here are a few posts I have done in the past on boots, I am a fan of army surplus boots, don't have to be goretex the german army have a very fine boot produced by haix that doesnt have goretex membrane. The brits do good boots too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeksofdoom viewpost.gif
For boots you can't beat a good pair of army boots and a pair of gaiters. They are cheap simple and do exactly what they say on the tin.

I bought a pair of meindl Dovre extreme a few years ago and and the leather on the f'in things cracked - disgusted.

I now have a pair of British army cold weather boots and a pair of German army haix boots.

Not worried about how long they last or if they get scratched coz they are cheap and easy to clean. Give them a good dose of dubbin/wax/polish and they are waterproof.
Quote:
To be honest I think the meindls and all those brands they are overrated. When your out in the countryside here walking through toxic cow ****e and stagnant cow **** it's very hard to keep those types of boots clean, the leather will rot off them. They have so much stitching and places to make them hard to clean. I'm wearing German army boots now, they are plain but very functional, no goretex just leather, I soaked them in dubbin to soften them out and then layered on the kiwi boot polish. They are waterproof and give excellent support, I wear them with a pair of British army gaiters. I sometimes wear them with British army goretex boot liners in wet boggy ground. My feet never get wet, the water just beads off them. Give em a wash once a week, dry them out by the rad stuffed with newspapers and reapply the dubbin & polish while I'm watching the late late.

I bought my boots from military1st.
Quote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again get yourself a pair of army boots.

I have a pair of these http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/sh...s-1020216.html

And also a pair of these http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/sh...ue-234460.html

Use plenty of boot polish, dubbin/ wax or mink oil and they are as good as any of the Gucci brands.

They take a bit of breaking in but they'll last a life time. i also have a pair of British army goretex gaiters and I can cross streams within reason without getting wet.
Quote:
Before you go blowing a huge amount of money on a pair of Meindl or Lowa boots and then after a couple of seasons discover they are splitting or cracking somewhere their not supposed to.

Why not go for a pair of surplus army boots, you can pick up the new British Army boots on Ebay for £70 plus postage they are maid by Haix.

German army boots are also made by Haix can get a new pair for €100.

Take care of the leather and they will last you just as long as the more expensive civiliam type boots.

I have a pair of German boots that I'm using at the moment, have put lashings of polish and dubbin on them and they are waterproof. The new ones are tough to break in but sure you'll be able to put up with that.

I also have a pair of british army pro boots they are gortex lined and they have gotten the same treatment, they are a very comfortable boot to wear.

Both these boots are easy to clean as they don't have as much seams and stitching as the civilian boots.

Have a pair of Meindl dovre extrenme boots which crached and split after 2 seasons...........redface.png

Meindl all day for me, I have the Burma, had them for quite a few years now and I have a new pair of Meindl Vakuum ready to replace them when they give up, only problem is they won't give up,only got the Vakuum because I got a really good deal, they are not the height your after but they are high enough and have good ankle support, I have had higher boots in the past and found I was leaving the tops undone purely because I couldn't be bothered to lace them all the way, If high boots are important I would consider the Meindl Dovre, I wear the Burma for Ferreting, shooting beating and walking the dogs and they are a great boot

I'll throw a bit of a curve ball. I bought the all leather iron ridge boots from cabelas. I really like them. A shooting friend bought danner boots from cabelas and he likes them. We both wear them with gaiters.

Cabelas have some great sales around this time of year so watch their "bargain cave."

That said, if the wife is buying and money is no object I'd be going for the meindl dovres. I have the Burma as a hill walking boot and they are great quality.

Edited by Big Al

Can't fault Alt-Berg boots, won't go anywhere else.

Ordered a pair of Warriors in October and as I have wide feet the boots were not stock size so would be special order and be ready around the end of January (10-12weeks). 4 weeks later the phone rings, my boots are ready. Top job.

Also have the Tethra, and they've taken a lot of punishment from everyday use, had the soles renewed and came back like new.

Just in case you see them on your travels - I've had a pair of Swiss-made Mamut boots for some years now, £200 normally but Go Outdors had them for £150ish. Added benefit for me with my dodgy heels/ankles was the hard plastic heel section which stops my foot from wringing over. Look good too and I do a lot of days in them. Not sure if this is a recommendation but a couple of theCountryfile team were wearing them a couple of years back including Julia Bradbury. Will be my next boots if/when current now wear out.