Where are you shooting over Christmas

Will Poon

The management have suggested that, conditional upon continued good behaviour, I shall be released from domestic seasonal and family duties by Monday morning, when I shall abduct my fellow suffering next door neighbour and we will go to Pilford, where we will thoroughly enjoy our 40 birds in what promises to be a howling gale which will most probably result in pathetically low scores and a class demotion!

On Tuesday we'll be off to Purbeck Shooting School for our usual Tuesday Morning Old **** Club in similarly breezy and wet conditions. Mind you, the breakfast is good there, and there's shelter..

On Wednesday I'll probably be back at Purbeck for their 100 bird ESP, which I have thoroughly enjoyed this year. Very challenging targets that won't be made any easier by the 40 mph gusts predicted by the Met Office will make for a dam' fine excuse. But at this time of year after having to rub shoulders with all sorts of little people who have been to school to pick up all manner of infectious diseases; it'll be a bit of a miracle if I'm still standing.

After that it's likely my wings will once again be clipped.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me and my lad went to Park lodge yesterday.

Not too sure whats happening there but to be honest it was a bit of a shambles .

One of the compaq layouts was basically unusable as the trap identification boards were either missing or broken down ,the controller for this layout didnt have a working "B" selection button there was some sort of illegible scribble on the main control board but basically it was useless as a layout .

The next compaq stand again had selection boards all over the place as well as one of the traps, "D" throwing out shrapnel every other clay ( i kid you not ).

Several of the sporting stands were also out of order No:- 18 ,Neither trap working ,No:- 8 No activation button .Several other stands also out of order or closed for maintenance .

Whilst walking to find a trap that actually worked we came across three young lads at one of the stands,none of them were wearing hearing protection or eye protection and to be quite honest one of them was holding a semi auto in a manner i have never seen before ,if he lent back any more he would have fallen over .Before any one asks if i advised them of basic safety i.e. eye wear etc ,no i must certainly didnt as they didnt strike me as the sort who would have appreciated any sort of guidance ,although i did report this at the end of the day .

At this point we decided enough was enough and packed up for the day .

A quick note to whoever sets the stands ,dont set stands facing directly into the afternoon sun ,use a bit of common sense and adjust the traps accordingly to allow for a low winter sun .

When we went into the office to pay up we told the young lady of our problems ,she replied the ground staff were on their way to sort out the traps etc

I think that the management of Park Lodge should really get their act together with the shooting side of things rather then the fancy club house /restaurant / corporate meeting side of things .

Edited by Jega